Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I currently have a late 27 inch iMac that I'm looking to replace, I use it 3-5 days a week for work, so I use it quite a lot. I do not video edit or do any "professional" tasks, but I do have a lot of programs open all at once including my Remote Desktop program. I will be keeping my new computer for minimum 5 years before I decide to replace it. I can't decide on what will be the best route, the new 16 inch MBP (with 32gb of ram) hooked up to a 4k monitor, a 24 inch iMac with my 4k monitor or replace my 27 inch iMac with the 27 inch Intel iMac currently available. I am hesitant on waiting for the new 27 inch with Apple Silicone. I know all 3 machines noted will be A LOT faster than my currently iMac will have good longevity, I just can't decide on which one since this is an expensive investment as well. Any and all help/opinions are welcome.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Any of those will do the stated job. Unless you have a specific need for Windows, I would eliminate the 27" iMac from contention. Personally, the 16" MBP with your 4K monitor will give you the most flexibility, so I'd go that route.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I would say that the choice to make depends on how mission-critical your work is. Peresonally, I've never been comfortable with only a single machine. I've always kept my computers for a long time, but have generally had two devices, my "new" primary machine and my "retired" previous machine. That means that I'm buying a new machine every 3-4 years to replace my "main" computer which then replaces its predecessor. That way, if something happens to be main machine I can fall back on its predecessor and get work done while the main machine is being "fixed".

For you, that would mean adding a new computer and keeping the old iMac as a second line backup machine. Since you only need "good" performance, a lot of RAM, and big displays the current 16" MBPs would be a good choice. The current M1 iMac is a bit limited with its 16Gb RAM max, as would the current M1 MacMini. From the rumors I've read, waiting for the forthcoming 27" iMacs will be using M2 family silicon will be a bit of a wait as the processors aren't expected until the second half of 2022.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Any of those will do the stated job. Unless you have a specific need for Windows, I would eliminate the 27" iMac from contention. Personally, the 16" MBP with your 4K monitor will give you the most flexibility, so I'd go that route.
I truly don't need windows since Rosetta 2 does a good job of running unoptimized apps, I do not need bootcamp. My thoughts are I like the current style of the iMac I do like but it's really old now, over a year old. I don't mind downsizing to a 16 inch MacBook Pro or the 24 inch iMac, the MacBook would almost never leave the desk, which is why I would go for the 16 inch MBP.
I would say that the choice to make depends on how mission-critical your work is. Peresonally, I've never been comfortable with only a single machine. I've always kept my computers for a long time, but have generally had two devices, my "new" primary machine and my "retired" previous machine. That means that I'm buying a new machine every 3-4 years to replace my "main" computer which then replaces its predecessor. That way, if something happens to be main machine I can fall back on its predecessor and get work done while the main machine is being "fixed".

For you, that would mean adding a new computer and keeping the old iMac as a second line backup machine. Since you only need "good" performance, a lot of RAM, and big displays the current 16" MBPs would be a good choice. The current M1 iMac is a bit limited with its 16Gb RAM max, as would the current M1 MacMini. From the rumors I've read, waiting for the forthcoming 27" iMacs will be using M2 family silicon will be a bit of a wait as the processors aren't expected until the second half of 2022.
The ram is my biggest issue with the 24 inch, I have 24gb currently installed and can get up to 17-18gb of usage with my daily workload, I hover around 13-15 consistently. so a 24 inch I might be maxing out instantly.

I do keep my computers for a long time and will be selling my iMac due to not having the space or need for it once I replace it, I have an old MacBook that I use for casual use. I usually use my iPad Pro when I'm not working since I don't need a computer. so basically, I am looking at the 3 options presented for my daily workstation for the next couple of years.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I think you will have massive regrets by not waiting for the 27" iMac replacement.
If you need a desktop, get a desktop. A portable machine is a cost-inefficient compromise if you don't need the portability.
I have both a 2020 27" iMac and an M1 Pro MBP. Much prefer the iMac for desktop use. However, cannot recommend getting the 2020 iMac with its update imminent.

The main issue with your iMac is the Fusion drive. I had a 2014 5k iMac with a 1TB SSD, and I can tell you that when I replaced it with my 2020 iMac (with 2TB SSD), it did not feel much faster for normal day-to-day usage. The key is the SSD. A stop-gap option for you is to use a USB external SSD, while you wait.

Last edited:

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I also vote for flexibility with the 16" MBP - it will run circles around your iMac while also giving you the freedom of portability.
I do like this idea, I do like working on a laptop. Don’t get me wrong, I love the massive screen of the iMac but I like working on a laptop.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I think you will have massive regrets by not waiting for the 27" iMac replacement.
If you need a desktop, get a desktop. A portable machine is a cost-inefficient compromise if you don't need the portability.
I have both a 2020 27" iMac and an M1 Pro MBP. Much prefer the iMac for desktop use. However, cannot recommend getting the 2020 iMac with its update imminent.

The main issue with your iMac is the Fusion drive. I had a 2014 5k iMac with a 1TB SSD, and I can tell you that when I replaced it with my 2020 iMac (with 2TB SSD), it did not feel much faster for normal day-to-day usage. The key is the SSD. A stop-gap option for you is to use a USB external SSD, while you wait.
Working on the iMac truly is great. I do love how massive the screen is, I truly do like the current design because to me it’s “timeless” also, I know the current offerings are outdated but they’re also well over 100x faster than what I currently have, especially the graphics too.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I do like this idea, I do like working on a laptop. Don’t get me wrong, I love the massive screen of the iMac but I like working on a laptop.

True, but you do already have your 4K monitor as mentioned. If it was a matter of Intel 16" vs an M1 iMac I'd vote for the iMac. But with how crazy powerful these new MBPs are, I'd say go with the laptop and have the best of both worlds.

Plus, IF anything were to go wrong with it, it's much easier to carry a MBP in for repair than an iMac. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.