Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zanevalon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
For the past 2-3 days, my MacBook Pro has been constantly crashing or having kernel panics. It slows down to a crawl, then I get the beach ball, then it crashes. Sometimes it happens whenever I'm watching YouTube, or if IU run DiskDaisy, even when I run EtreCheck Pro.

I've attempted to reinstall the OS via recovery mode but that doesn't seem to work. The process appears to finish but when I log in, nothing has changed.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've attached the log from when it restarts as well as a EtreCheck report:

EDIT: After calling Apple Support and working through all the potential fixes, a fresh install of my macOS seems to have fixed the issue.

Attachments

• Problem Report for macOS- 01022022_244736.txt
    15.5 KB · Views: 100
  • EtreCheckPro - Macbook Pro - 2022-01-01.txt
    18.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Untitled 14_01012022_0438.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Problem Report for macOS - 01.01.2022_1258.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
I've attempted to reinstall the OS via recovery mode but that doesn't seem to work. The process appears to finish but when I log in, nothing has changed.
That's normal. Re-installing the OS doesn't wipe your data. It just installs a fresh copy of macOS, everything else remains untouched.
If you want to start from scratch, go to system settings and click on the main menu entry. There is an option to reset your Mac.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-02 um 14.52.13.jpg

Also, your EtreCheck report doesn't help. You should share the panic report instead.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
One of your crash reports mentioned DaisyDisk. EtreCheck says you're running some bitTorrent apps too. Does it crash if you're not running those apps?

Vinceh99

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2021
For the past 2-3 days, my MacBook Pro has been constantly crashing or having kernel panics. It slows down to a crawl, then I get the beach ball, then it crashes. Sometimes it happens whenever I'm watching YouTube, or if IU run DiskDaisy, even when I run EtreCheck Pro.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've attached the log from when it restarts as well as a EtreCheck report:

EDIT: After calling Apple Support and working through all the potential fixes, a fresh install of my macOS seems to have fixed the issue.
how did you do a fresh install exactly? I've been having kernel panics too (mostly when connected to my external monitor).

Zanevalon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
how did you do a fresh install exactly? I've been having kernel panics too (mostly when connected to my external monitor).

Because my computer was having kernel panics even when I tried to back up I had to do the following:

- Boot into recovery mode screen where there’s an option to install OS
- Install fresh OS onto a backup drive that was large enough to house the OS + data I wanted to keep from the internal drive
- once OS was installed on external, boot into macOS via external and setup like normal computer.
- once I was able to open finder, open two windows and manually move over any data from the internal drive to the external one. (Excluding any apps or settings files in case those were causing the issue)
- once that was complete go back to recovery mode and wipe internal drive, then reinstall macOS on the internal.
- transfer files from external to the internal.

That seemed to have fixed everything.

Reactions: Vinceh99

Vinceh99

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2021
Because my computer was having kernel panics even when I tried to back up I had to do the following:

- Boot into recovery mode screen where there’s an option to install OS
- Install fresh OS onto a backup drive that was large enough to house the OS + data I wanted to keep from the internal drive
- once OS was installed on external, boot into macOS via external and setup like normal computer.
- once I was able to open finder, open two windows and manually move over any data from the internal drive to the external one. (Excluding any apps or settings files in case those were causing the issue)
- once that was complete go back to recovery mode and wipe internal drive, then reinstall macOS on the internal.
- transfer files from external to the internal.

That seemed to have fixed everything.
thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.