Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am probably late to the game, but today I got my 16" MBP and I wanted to post my impressions, especially for those considering it and are used to have a 13" MBP.

I am still configuring it, so there are many things I cannot really know yet (like battery life), but I will start with the positives:
  • The display is massive! Coming from the 2018 13" MBP I can say that the difference is big and changes a lot in how I will use my MBP. The default resolution looks very well, even if it's not a 2x scale. When using my 13" MBP I always felt that the display resolution is low. Of course it is possible to change the resolution but that comes at the cost of display text size.
  • The speakers sound great, much better than the speakers on anything mobile I have heard, even better than the iPad Pro 12,9" I have.
Now, about the magic keyboard, I am glad that I now have it and I must not use the butterfly keyboard, but I have to say that with the butterfly keyboard I was able to type faster and with less mistakes. The magic keyboard has more travel and need more pressure for key presses to register, and that makes me type a bit slower and also make more mistakes. I guess I will have to get used to it. Somehow I wish the butterfly keyboard were not such unreliable for a lot of people. I even like the magic keyboard for the iPad more than the MBP keyboard. Maybe that will change in the next couple of days, so we will see..

Negatives:
  • Well, coming from a 13" MBP the weight and size can be considered as negatives. The 13" model is lighter (understandably) and also has a smaller size. I wouldn't want to travel every day with my 16" MBP, but I knew already and before I made the purchase decision that there would be a significant difference in terms of mobility. I am not saying that the 16" MBP is not mobile, but I will use it more at home than on the road. For real mobile usage on the road I will be using my 12,9" iPad Pro. I was actually thinking of getting the new 13" model, but decided to get the 16" since I already have a 12,9" iPad which I can use as my mobile device, next to my iPhone. The 16" MBP is a joy to use though, especially because of its great display.
Regarding the display resolution I noticed that the 60Hz option only becomes available when enabled the scaled mode. Interesting..

Reactions: Rigtee

thedocbwarren

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I always use the 2:1 resolutions on these as it seems better to do so. I relate to the weight difference as I came from a MacBook Pro 13 as well. The 13 is a wonderful size and weight for travel. I disliked the butterfly keyboard but didn't have trouble with it like others did. Glad they replaced it.

You will notice the GPU on these is strong enough to hit the battery if you use an external monitor. This is normal.

I am probably late to the game, but today I got my 16" MBP and I wanted to post my impressions, especially for those considering it and are used to have a 13" MBP.

I am still configuring it, so there are many things I cannot really know yet (like battery life), but I will start with the positives:
  • The display is massive! Coming from the 2018 13" MBP I can say that the difference is big and changes a lot in how I will use my MBP. The default resolution looks very well, even if it's not a 2x scale. When using my 13" MBP I always felt that the display resolution is low. Of course it is possible to change the resolution but that comes at the cost of display text size.
  • The speakers sound great, much better than the speakers on anything mobile I have heard, even better than the iPad Pro 12,9" I have.
Now, about the magic keyboard, I am glad that I now have it and I must not use the butterfly keyboard, but I have to say that with the butterfly keyboard I was able to type faster and with less mistakes. The magic keyboard has more travel and need more pressure for key presses to register, and that makes me type a bit slower and also make more mistakes. I guess I will have to get used to it. Somehow I wish the butterfly keyboard were not such unreliable for a lot of people. I even like the magic keyboard for the iPad more than the MBP keyboard. Maybe that will change in the next couple of days, so we will see..

Negatives:
  • Well, coming from a 13" MBP the weight and size can be considered as negatives. The 13" model is lighter (understandably) and also has a smaller size. I wouldn't want to travel every day with my 16" MBP, but I knew already and before I made the purchase decision that there would be a significant difference in terms of mobility. I am not saying that the 16" MBP is not mobile, but I will use it more at home than on the road. For real mobile usage on the road I will be using my 12,9" iPad Pro. I was actually thinking of getting the new 13" model, but decided to get the 16" since I already have a 12,9" iPad which I can use as my mobile device, next to my iPhone. The 16" MBP is a joy to use though, especially because of its great display.
Regarding the display resolution I noticed that the 60Hz option only becomes available when enabled the scaled mode. Interesting..

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

It's a Catalina bug.

If you enable scaled resolution, click on any of the other one then click the Default one again, you'll get Refresh Rate control with the default resolution.

Honestly, if only they'd give me $0.01 for every small Catalina UI bug that I have found, I'd actually be able to purchase another 16".

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, it should be 60Hz.

Also, alternatively, you can click on "Scaled" holding down the Option key and it'll also show you the refresh rate dropdown menu then. But if you keep holding Option key and clicking the "Scaled" option, it toggles the menu on and off.

Also... every time you close System Preferences, you gotta retrace those steps if you want to change refresh rates again.

Seriously, if it is a bug, it's a very weird one and I cannot help but think it must be some intentional decision that got lost in translation and implementation at Apple.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have been using the MBP now for a couple of hours and I can say that the keyboard is my biggest problem with it. Somehow it makes me type slower and make more mistakes than with the butterfly keyboard. I know that the majority loves the magic keyboard and hates the butterfly (mainly due to its reliability issues), but coming from the butterfly keyboard I need time to get used to the Magic keyboard, despite using a keyboard with my iMac too. The Magic keyboard for the iPad though feels better to me.

Rigtee

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
I have been using the MBP now for a couple of hours and I can say that the keyboard is my biggest problem with it. Somehow it makes me type slower and make more mistakes than with the butterfly keyboard. I know that the majority loves the magic keyboard and hates the butterfly (mainly due to its reliability issues), but coming from the butterfly keyboard I need time to get used to the Magic keyboard, despite using a keyboard with my iMac too. The Magic keyboard for the iPad though feels better to me.

I guess you'll eventually get used to it! I've tried the new MK when I was at the Apple Store in Vienna last February and it's true that it feels weird in the beginning; it's between the butterfly and the classic scissor keyboard (like the one which comes with desktop Macs).

Your post really got my interest as I'm now hesitating (again) on what to do with my setup. I'm pretty happy with my 2018 13" MBP which I got when it came out, after having sold my 2016 15" MBP due to reliability fears with the keyboard (and the fact that it was too noisy) and because of its size. I'm a student and size matters.

However, with the current pandemic, I use my MBP all day plugged into a 32" 4K Benq monitor and, although very capable, it can be quite laggy when doing some GPU intensive work. I read the huge thread concerning the issues with the 16" model when connected with an external screen... Anyway, I won't sell my MBP tomorrow but the next 16" might be my future daily machine if the issue with the monitor is resolved.

Actually, the thing which scares me the most with the 16" is the portability. The 13" is such a joy to use when going on campus and traveling. It's true that now, with iPadOS, it can be very interesting to work on the iPad for light tasks (I also own a 10.5" iPad Pro and despite the small screen, I take all my lectures notes on it with the Pencil and read my PDF documents for my classes). So, just like you, I could potentially use the iPP when doing lighter tasks.

I've also considered getting a Windows desktop but keeping 2 machines up to date could be cumbersome (and I'll only enjoy it on weekends as I'm on campus during the week...).

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
This is what I decided to do. For light productivity tasks on the go I will be using my iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard. At home I have the choice between my 27" iMac and the 16" MacBook Pro. Depending whether I want to work from my desk or not I will be using one of the two. I use my iPad also at home of course, especially when on the couch or on the bed. (except from today where I use my new MBP..)
If you need mobility and can only afford one computer, then stay with the 13" model. If you can also afford an iPad Pro, then go for the iPad Pro for mobility and get a 16" for more home usage. This setup makes a lot of sense, but costs a lot of money..

06tb06

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2017
I decided on the same configuration, just waiting on Phobio to send the payment on my iMac trade so I can place my order. My first Mac was a 13" rMBP (2015) and I'm looking forward to getting back to a portable machine.

I'm sure you've tried this, but if you hold "Command" while clicking the display options you will get additional choices.

Rigtee

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
It is insanely expensive, yes. And probably overkill right now, I’m pretty happy with what I have at the moment.

I used to own an iMac in the past and I found annoying to maintain it updated as I only used it 2 days a week and moved from place to place really often. It’s still the case today and, in the end, I think I prefer to just have one main machine with all my files on it. Having a desktop can be really useful for some users but it comes with drawbacks for others.

I also thought about the eGPU solution but it’s kinda clunky and very expensive for what it is.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am on the third day now with my MacBook Pro ? and I have gotten used to the keyboard. This computer is great and the only problem I have so far with it is the crash issue when on sleep, but that is a Catalina bug that will hopefully be solved with the next release. For the moment I have disabled Power Nap and there are no crashes anymore..

Reactions: simonmet and Rigtee

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
Why do you guys run lower res and not just scale universal text size -- it still gives you clarity but makes it easier to read the same way lower res does.

Is there a reason?

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
How do you scale text so it is indeed universal and applies to everything?
in display, click scale and then text sizes appear so you can scale universally.
[automerge]1588988749[/automerge]

Negatives:

Has the ghosting (Image blur & lag) bothered you when scrolling web pages?

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am an IT professional. I use Safari a lot for researching, VMWare for VMs and Microsoft Office, including Outlook.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I don't notice the ghosting either, and I scroll through thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of lines of codes a day. It's honestly not any worse than the 13" MacBook Pro that it replaced.

I notice the weight more than anything else. Size is also not an issue at all.

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
I have a 75hz free sync display and compared to this the display really shows its ghosting aspects.
Basically if you scroll text will leave a small trail, a good example is blur busters for this.

Theres a google doc for panel types and its universal across the panel supplier. Its high quality for color, but they really put a slow responding display in this. If you grab a window on your desktop and drag it around you'll see this the most.

But if you really want to see how bad it is, fire up any 3D game look around and its ghost city, for a 3000 dollar machine when alot of windows laptops exceed it at half the cost is my only complaint about the 16" everything else is great.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have a 75hz free sync display and compared to this the display really shows its ghosting aspects.
Basically if you scroll text will leave a small trail, a good example is blur busters for this.

Theres a google doc for panel types and its universal across the panel supplier. Its high quality for color, but they really put a slow responding display in this. If you grab a window on your desktop and drag it around you'll see this the most.

But if you really want to see how bad it is, fire up any 3D game look around and its ghost city, for a 3000 dollar machine when alot of windows laptops exceed it at half the cost is my only complaint about the 16" everything else is great.
Ok, I understand. For my eyes and needs this is a great display :)
Of course if you need the fast response rate you should be getting a different laptop. The only problem to that is that you would be getting Windows. I think that Macs in general are not optimised for games and this display has an excellent quality in all areas that matter to everybody but gamers..

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Well, the slow response is expected for the refresh rate. 60Hz refresh rate is just not that fast.

I'm not saying I don't notice the ghosting. It's there. It's just not worse than the 13". Or any other Mac I have owned.

If you are coming from Windows laptops and high refresh rates, I guess it's going to stick out like a sore thumb, but this is just the norm for MacBooks. They have never been known for high refresh rates. This was the case with the 15" and 13" before it, and I'm not surprised the 16" is the same.

I don't game (or at least not that much) so the ghosting doesn't bother me. Color accuracy, depth, saturation, etc... that sort of thing are much more noticeable to me. I'm not "okay" with 99% of screens on the market. Only the ones that get >95% DCI-P3 look "okay" to me. Refresh rates be damned.

In that sense, the DCI-P3 display of the 16" is "okay".

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
It is insanely expensive, yes. And probably overkill right now, I’m pretty happy with what I have at the moment.

I used to own an iMac in the past and I found annoying to maintain it updated as I only used it 2 days a week and moved from place to place really often. It’s still the case today and, in the end, I think I prefer to just have one main machine with all my files on it. Having a desktop can be really useful for some users but it comes with drawbacks for others.

I also thought about the eGPU solution but it’s kinda clunky and very expensive for what it is.

Same here - I actually just moved from a fully loaded 2019 iMac with all the bells and whistles to a base i9 MBP 16 for that reason. I just don't like working at my desk that much and I need to carry my laptop to work 2-3 days per week. For the rest my 12.9" iPad Pro is enough. I really love the MBP + iPad Pro combo. I could have gone with a 16" + 13" combination for roughly the same price, but I need the touchscreen for grading papers. Otherwise they'd force me to use a Surface Pro from work and it's not something I'm extremely excited about

Rigtee

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
Same here - I actually just moved from a fully loaded 2019 iMac with all the bells and whistles to a base i9 MBP 16 for that reason. I just don't like working at my desk that much and I need to carry my laptop to work 2-3 days per week. For the rest my 12.9" iPad Pro is enough. I really love the MBP + iPad Pro combo. I could have gone with a 16" + 13" combination for roughly the same price, but I need the touchscreen for grading papers. Otherwise they'd force me to use a Surface Pro from work and it's not something I'm extremely excited about

Great choice, the iPad Pro is a killer when it comes to portability and power on-the-go. Having two MBP would be cumbersome to maintain and you will eventually lean towards only one machine in the end. Good that you got rid of your iMac, a great piece a tech for sedentary people...not for everyone though.

How is the iPad screen size for an "entertainment" use? Isn't it too big? I also used to own a 1st gen 12.9" and it was giant, but its footprint got reduced with the 2nd gen. I now own a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" and really like it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.