Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
I've had the new 16" MacBook Pro for a couple days now, and although I believe the settings are the same as my previous computer it seems to be going into some kind of sleep mode I am not used to.

Up until this morning every time I went to my 16" I just needed to put my finger on the Touch ID to wake it up - but now my computer won't wake up from a mouse click or keyboard clicks - only a push on the Touch ID / power button does the trick.

I want to make it that I can just put my finger on the Touch ID button to wake it up, but am confused on how to do that.

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You should be able to wake the machine with any key, not just the TouchID button.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
I know! The problem is precisely that I cannot. The trackpad and keyboard won't wakeup my computer. The trackpad is also in a state where it can't force touch fwiw.

Only a push (not a touch) on the TouchID button will wake my computer up.

However, if I click sleep in the menu bar ( -> Sleep) I get the correct functionality, but when my computer goes to sleep on its own it seems to go into "safe sleep" or something weird, and can only be awoken with a push on the touchID button.

sillysockfactory

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
I've had the new 16" MacBook Pro for a couple days now, and although I believe the settings are the same as my previous computer it seems to be going into some kind of sleep mode I am not used to.

Up until this morning every time I went to my 16" I just needed to put my finger on the Touch ID to wake it up - but now my computer won't wake up from a mouse click or keyboard clicks - only a push on the Touch ID / power button does the trick.

I want to make it that I can just put my finger on the Touch ID button to wake it up, but am confused on how to do that.

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having a similar issue and Apple tried reinstalling the OS. Then they wiped it and started fresh. Finally they had me send it out to be repaired. They replaced the logic board and the touch ID bar and it STILL does the same thing. This is with a brand new MBP i purchased at the end of May.

Reactions: BRT2020

Navvier

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
I had this issue, but Parallels was the reason. Had to change hypervisor in my VMs from "Parallels" to "Apple"

BRT2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
Same issue with 16' - sleep/crash/re-boot/crash/boot. I too sent it off for repair and the same thing happens. At least, Apple did not count this repair against the two I get for Apple Care.

ArcticBlue00

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2016
Planet Earth
Having the same issue with my 16”. I also have MBP 13” (2018), which I haven’t had the issue with.
Has anyone found a solution for this?

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
If you will find whats causing this, please share with us. There are a lot people who actually want this feature to have :) for example for keyboard cleaning purposes etc :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.