Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NBS-LLC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
I'm looking to purchase a triple monitor dock for my 16" MBP 2019 that can also work with a Windows laptop (also to be purchased). Any recommendations?

I currently have one 4k LG 32BN50U-B that I'd like to use as my main display, the laptop will be closed. I'm planning to buy two additional 1080p 24" monitors (I don't need multiple 4ks, so I'm looking to save money). I was thinking a couple of ViewSonics. For a total of 3 external monitors: 1x 4k, 2x 1080p. I'd like to make sure they all run at a minimum of 60hz.

Ideally the dock would charge both my Mac and Windows laptops. Not at the same time, I would swap the host USB C / Thunderbolt cable.

Recommendations, thoughts or caveats I should be aware of?

Much appreciated :)

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Not a dock on its own, but a dock with an additional adapter to it could power 3 monitors on both macOS and Windows.

As Dock, you need one with at least one display output and a thunderbolt downstream port. I personally use the HP G2 as it can also charge 100W over Thunderbolt which is the max the 16" will take and it's quite compact. You can also use the Dell WD19TB or the CalDigit TS3+.

Then you need a Thunderbolt to dual HDMI or dual DisplayPort (depending on what you prefer). I would recommend displayport. DP -> HDMI is easy. HDMI -> DP not.

One like this: https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-video-products/tb32dp14

Make sure to buy one that is also for mac. Some are Windows only as they rely on MST. The one I linked is for both mac and windows. They're not cheap thought. About 100-120$ for the dual adapter alone.

What you now do is, you connect the adapter to the thunderbolt downstream port of your dock. Connect two monitors to that adapter and one to the dock directly. Connect the dock to your MBP via TB3 and everything is connected. This should work on both windows and macOS.

3x 4K wouldn't work anyway as the bandwidth of TB3 is only 40Gbps. That's not enough for 3x 4K. But 1x 4K + 2x 1080 definitely fits in the bandwidth.

This only works if your Windows computer also supports Thunderbolt 3. What you want is impossible over a single USB-C connection because of bandwidth limitations.

Reactions: NBS-LLC

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
If you're not running macOS Big Sur, give the J5 Create dock a look

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
If you're not running macOS Big Sur, give the J5 Create dock a look

That one can only support one monitor on macOS at the same time. It's USB-C using alt mode.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
That one can only support one monitor on macOS at the same time. It's USB-C using alt mode.
Seriously? I need to look into that; I was actually thinking about getting one as well. I’ll be heading back in to the office soon and want to use at least two external monitors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.