Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
London
Which sodding Genius at apple ever decided removing a quick release power cord was a good idea? I just tangled myself in the cable and yanked if from my desk, which has left a nice dent and set of scrapes on it :( I know it's totally cosmetic but WTF. Why design pretty products, which DO NOT LAST. I think they do it to annoy 99% of the customer base. IE nothing can ever be perfect. AGH.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Which sodding Genius at apple ever decided removing a quick release power cord was a good idea? I just tangled myself in the cable and yanked if from my desk, which has left a nice dent and set of scrapes on it :( I know it's totally cosmetic but WTF. Why design pretty products, which DO NOT LAST. I think they do it to annoy 99% of the customer base. IE nothing can ever be perfect. AGH.

Magsafe couldn't support charging higher capacity batteries in a reasonable amount of time. It's why the kick starters that sought to "bring back the MagSafe" by using a dongle to connect to the MacBook with a breakable cord all failed.

Reactions: G5isAlive and me55

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Magsafe couldn't support charging higher capacity batteries in a reasonable amount of time. It's why the kick starters that sought to "bring back the MagSafe" by using a dongle to connect to the MacBook with a breakable cord all failed.

Huh? There's a ton of USB C quick release magnet adapter things on Amazon and the like. I don't think wattage was stopping MagSafe.

Personally I prefer the USB C way. Detachable, removable, replaceable cable means no throwing out an entire power adapter every few years when Apple's ****** cable breaks down. I can charge from either side and I can charge every device I currently own with one charger which is great for trips. The cable doesn't fall out from a slight breeze either.

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
IIRC the bigger MacBook Pro's from the MagSafe-era have trouble with the contacts burning up over time. It seems that you can't run high wattages over those connectors reliably.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I love my 2015 with MagSafe, but I’ve never been a fan of MagSafe myself. Always pulls out of the port too easily. To each their own, but I hear your frustration!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Huh? There's a ton of USB C quick release magnet adapter things on Amazon and the like. I don't think wattage was stopping MagSafe.

Personally I prefer the USB C way. Detachable, removable, replaceable cable means no throwing out an entire power adapter every few years when Apple's ****** cable breaks down. I can charge from either side and I can charge every device I currently own with one charger which is great for trips. The cable doesn't fall out from a slight breeze either.

Just because it's on Amazon doesn't mean it works. There was a write up by a guy either here or on Reddit back when they first switched that explained everything about it and why it couldn't work. That same sentiment was echoed by two of the kick starters trying to bring it back. I'm sure Apple would have included it if there realistically was a way to do it.

Reactions: me55

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012

Quick charging is terrible for battery life, so that is not an argument to remove Magsafe. Going all out on UBS C is a terrible choice for a laptop.

In 2020, UBS-C is still not mainstream.

• Haha
Reactions: chrono1081

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Quick charging is terrible for battery life, so that is not an argument to remove Magsafe. Going all out on UBS C is a terrible choice for a laptop.

In 2020, UBS-C is still not mainstream.

Isn't quick charging basically what all laptops have been technically been using since day one? More wattage from the charger to charge doesn't necessarily mean it is now a "fast charging" device. And the controller chip on the laptops will limit how much charge the laptops can take.

Just look at the 240watt chargers for some PC laptops. Those don't charge in 45 minutes even at 2.4 times the wattage of Apple's 100w charger.

And laptops aren't like phones whereas fast charging is referred to as bumping up the voltage and amperage to charge faster.

I'm not an expert on the subject but this is what I've come to understand. If wrong, I'd like to read how it really works.

And you know. I was big on Firewire before USB so things eventually become "mainstream" before you're ready to give them up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.