Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.macstiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I did a Google and forum search for this, but didn't find anything (though I found one article where it sounded like they were describing the same behavior, but their terminology was off -- no difference, the solution posted didn't help anyway.)

So I borrowed the work MBP for a test drive, and already I'm stuck in first gear.

What happened was I plugged an external display to test a dual setup, and at some point both screens went from 16 million colors to 16 colors. Unplugged the external and everything returned to normal.

Then, I plugged the adapter to run on AC and as soon as it hit the desktop, right back to 16 colors. (Apple/login are fine, though.) Unplugging the power adapter and rebooting didn't revert, so what do I have to do to get this girl to put out for me?

I was married to Windows for 11 years, and she so much as sighed and I'd know where to scratch. But this new girl's very mysterious. She's awesome, but right now she's being a real tease.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
First, 16 colors should not even be possible, the is no way Mac OS X could support so few colors. Maybe it is 256 as that is as low as you can go.

As for fixing it, go to System Preferences (Apple Menu -> System Preferences...) and select the displays option. First try hitting the "detect display" button. If that doesn't fix it you should have pull down menus where you can change the number of colors as well as the resolution.

If you still have trouble, take a picture with a digital camera and post it as it may be helpful to us.

.macstiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Hey, thank you for the reply.

First, 16 colors should not even be possible, the is no way Mac OS X could support so few colors. Maybe it is 256 as that is as low as you can go.

16 was just a guess based on my lack of experience with Mac OS X.

As for fixing it, go to System Preferences (Apple Menu -> System Preferences...) and select the displays option. First try hitting the "detect display" button. If that doesn't fix it you should have pull down menus where you can change the number of colors as well as the resolution.

I should have mentioned that I tried the obvious places first, and none of it worked. Settings said it's using the correct color profile, and 16M colors. Then I went looking for the less than obvious places, but also came up empty. I'm asking here because I know you're all Mac experts, and this was sounding like an obscure issue that maybe one of you had experienced before, or heard of and could point me in the right direction.

If you still have trouble, take a picture with a digital camera and post it as it may be helpful to us.

I went a step further to show you this real-time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie2lSRNJHGU

.macstiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
That's my only guess. :)

Well that was a very good guess, sir. I actually sat up in my chair when you mentioned contrast, because it made total sense.

So now I'm curious how the contrast slider maxed itself out like that. I wasn't aware of such a slider, and I wasn't even using the system when it happened the first time (caught it out of the corner of my eye.) But at least now I know how to fix it. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.