Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I had a shortcut / automation set up where I would charge my iPhone, then Siri would say "Battery Charged" when it hit 100%. That worked great for well over a a year and 1/2. ( created using this YT video -
)

After updating late week to iOS 17.3, it seemed to break it, smh.
I see the shortcut, automation is still there, but no voice from Siri. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_9786.PNG
IMG_9787.PNG

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
You may have to delete the shortcut and then create the same shortcut again.. I've had this issue before and that's all that would fix it
Thanks. I deleted it and started over. Ok this is absolutely baffling. I screen recorded this as I did it...tested the sound on the phone and heard nothing. (Volume is fine, not on silent mode)

But on playback of the screen recording, you can hear Siri say "battery 100%" Bizarre!!

I'll drop this battery down, charge and see if I hear it.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
You may have to delete the shortcut and then create the same shortcut again.. I've had this issue before and that's all that would fix it
**Update: Nope. Deleting the shortcut and redoing it did not work. No sound from Siri and also no notification when battery charged back to 100%.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
**Update: Nope. Deleting the shortcut and redoing it did not work. No sound from Siri and also no notification when battery charged back to 100%.
Is that the only shortcut that doesn't work or is that the only shortcut you have? You might have to restore the device using your backup or wait til 17.4 is released to see if it fixes it. I haven't had any issues with my shortcuts on 17.3 and I have one very similar to yours except it tells me when I get to 85%

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Is that the only shortcut that doesn't work or is that the only shortcut you have? You might have to restore the device using your backup or wait til 17.4 is released to see if it fixes it. I haven't had any issues with my shortcuts on 17.3 and I have one very similar to yours except it tells me when I get to 85%
I have a few others. I re-enabled "When iPhone is connected to charger - low power mode kicks on" That works.

Also "If battery falls below 65%, low power mode kicks in. I have yet to see if this is still working...haven't gone below 65% yet.

But I'll change this to 95% just to test it and see if that works.

That video capture above still boggles me how it does capture Siri speaking in the screen recording playback. I just can't hear her on the phone itself.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Near as I can tell, things working for me with Shortcuts and Automations.

Something new in 17 iirc (maybe 16) is that there are now multiple volume options in Shortcuts. So, as a quick and easy test, might want to create a single Shortcut to set the media and ringtone volumes to some non-zero value. Run it and delete it and then test the Siri Shortcut to see if any change.

New Shortcut.png

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Near as I can tell, things working for me with Shortcuts and Automations.

Something new in 17 iirc (maybe 16) is that there are now multiple volume options in Shortcuts. So, as a quick and easy test, might want to create a single Shortcut to set the media and ringtone volumes to some non-zero value. Run it and delete it and then test the Siri Shortcut to see if any change.

View attachment 2343123
Wow, thanks. It is an audio setting issue. I can hear Siri if I put my phone up to my ear. Just have to figure out how to get it back to play through the iPhone speaker.

I have to look at this when I get home. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
This seems to work now, I had to change the command from "Speak Battery...." to "Make Spoken Audio from...."

Something got changed, goofed up after the 17.3 update, no idea. At least it's working again.
Thanks again!

IMG_9792.PNG

Reactions: NoBoMac

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
**Updated**

Ok...I feel slightly dumb and sorry if this is a "no duh" moment for others..lol.
This Siri speaking shortcut was never quite fixed, ongoing only heard her through ear piece...so I deleted the shortcut.

THEN Siri totally stopped speaking and was muted. Again checked.. and yet again, only heard her through the phones earpiece.

Thinking this is some lousy ongoing bug since 17.3 which is when this started for me...and still not finding a solution on Google, only BT issues and Homepod, AirPods volume routing...

By sheer luck fiddling around last night, I accidentally hit Volume button WHEN Siri was activated. Now I finally heard her through the speaker..barely. Adjusting the volume louder when Siri is activated fixed the issue. SMH.

Again, probably many already knew about this...it boggled me personally for a while. I just didn't know Siri had its own volume setting from the home screen totally separate from the main iPhone volume setting. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙄

As something simple as this, I'm happy it's not a phone issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.