Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntDX316

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
17.4 Developer Beta but Xcode only downloads 17.0?

I have 17 Beta 4 Update on all my Apple devices but Xcode only downloads the 17.0 image.

I assume Developer Betas are just looks and don't affect app functionality? I'm new to Apple Coding. I know on Unity and Android, if you up the versions, you gain access to new things but certain things won't work anymore. Is it like this with Apple? I assume Apple is way easier to code?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yes. Updates come with feature changes and API changes. Usually not all that much with just a point release but still.

What version of iOS you have on your phone doesn’t matter when it comes to what version of the iOS simulator Xcode downloads.

You need the beta version of Xcode to use the sdk for developer beta operating systems and test with them.

Why would you assume it’s easier to program for Apple than android? Programming is programming. Tooling is more cohesive and platform knowledge works across all Apple but programming is programming

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
17.4 Developer Beta but Xcode only downloads 17.0?

I have 17 Beta 4 Update on all my Apple devices but Xcode only downloads the 17.0 image.

I assume Developer Betas are just looks and don't affect app functionality? I'm new to Apple Coding. I know on Unity and Android, if you up the versions, you gain access to new things but certain things won't work anymore. Is it like this with Apple? I assume Apple is way easier to code?

Yes you have to be very careful or you can get out of sync and things will stop working

AntDX316

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
It seems easier to code because it happens to load from just changing one page. On Android Studio, you have to change 2-3 pages for it to work. The .java and .xml as well as the manifest.

AntDX316

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
The new update is 17.2 but how do you update the SDK MacOS to 17.2? I think I'm only on 17.0. How do you update the iOS and iWatch ones too?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
With the beta version of Xcode, you can get beta SDKs/simulators
1702037943176.png

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
I find this web site really useful to find out exactly which SDKs are included with each release:

The version above is Xcode 15.1 Beta 3 (the latest available version is the Release Candidate)

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
Help me find it step by step from that homepage.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Download Resources

If you aren't already logged in you will then be asked to enter your id and password

At the top of the Downloads screen choose Applications

The first option on the Applications screen is to download Xcode 15.1 RC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.