Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pretentious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
DigiTimes, a Tiawanese computer magizine close to the computer makers of the iMac reports:
The 17-inch flat-panel iMac will terminate production in June, following the same fate as the 15-inch flat-panel model, which stopped production last October, said local PC makers familiar with the matter.
It is estimated that about 500,000 to 600,000 flat-panel iMacs were sold in 2002 following their introduction last January. The once highflying desktop computer, which created a buzz with its desk lamp-like look, is expected to sell another 300,000 to 400,000 units between now and June.
The flat-panel iMac, which debuted last January, became a smash hit shortly after being introduced. Sales peaked in March, with local manufacturers working round the clock, fulfilling shipments of over 10,000 units a day.
Sales of the 15-inch flat-panel iMacs practically stalled in June 2002 after selling more than 300,000 units between February and May, resulting in an early production termination in October.

IGM has gone on and speculated that this gives the possable 19" iMac more chance of being announced at MWSF.

I imagine we can also speculate that the 15" iMac will be EOL'd at MW too? since this have story has now confirmed that the production of 15" ended in October.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I find it hard to believe that they would drop the 17" iMac, it's proportions are perfect and it makes the already great imac that little bit better.

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
No they have changed manufacturers from LG Electronics to Hon Hai Precision Industry. So I think you will find that Digitimes is reporting what has happened at LG!

Don't get too excited.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Wow, so production of the 15" iMacs stopped in October and they're just selling off of inventory? Dang! This is why the iMacs need a price drop more then anything. If Apple dropped the price of the low-end 15" model to $999 i guarantee you sales would pick up.

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by lmalave
Wow, so production of the 15" iMacs stopped in October and they're just selling off of inventory? Dang! This is why the iMacs need a price drop more then anything. If Apple dropped the price of the low-end 15" model to $999 i guarantee you sales would pick up.

Not quite, DIgitimes is just reporting on whay has happened at LG Electronics, whether Hon Hai Precision Industry is now making a 15" is not really clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.