Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Sources: 17-inch flat-panel iMac to stop production in June

David Tzeng, Taipei; Chinmei Sung, DigiTimes.com [Thursday 2 January 2003]

The 17-inch flat-panel iMac will terminate production in June, following the same fate as the 15-inch flat-panel model, which stopped production last October, said local PC makers familiar with the matter.

It is estimated that about 500,000 to 600,000 flat-panel iMacs were sold in 2002 following their introduction last January. The once highflying desktop computer, which created a buzz with its desk lamp-like look, is expected to sell another 300,000 to 400,000 units between now and June.

The flat-panel iMac, which debuted last January, became a smash hit shortly after being introduced. Sales peaked in March, with local manufacturers working round the clock, fulfilling shipments of over 10,000 units a day.

Sales of the 15-inch flat-panel iMacs practically stalled in June 2002 after selling more than 300,000 units between February and May, resulting in an early production termination in October.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/01/02&pages=04&seq=20

Better get one while you still can.

Pete

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Sorry pretentious, but I was first.

I was just thinking, what are they going to replace it with? Or is the eMac going to be the low end from now on. Maybe the new iMac will be shaped like a basketball. Hmmmm...

Pete

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
Sorry Peter I didn't mean to repost, I even checked before I began writing, I'm guessing you posted right after I clicked to start a new thread. I even tried to delete my message after I saw yours, but alas I couldn't and I apologize.
Any way it happens, see how many posts are up for the new iCal/iSync updates. I counted three on the front page.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Maybe a 23 inch HD version. :D

I would say that whatever it is, it will be spectacular or possibly, just an 18.1 inch model.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by Kid Red
They are switching companies to produce the imac.

This sounds the most reasonable of anything i have heard so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.