Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: 17-inch LCD EOL'd?

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacWhispers claims the 17-inch Studio Display has been End of Life'd as of May 2003, and hints at a new 16:10 screen in the works.

Ahh, welcome old friend. It's good to have you back. I've missed this rumor. It's been around so long that I feel like I know it well like a close friend. Hopefully some day it may come true. I think it is ever more likely now that we have a wide screen 17" PowerBook.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I've been waiting for this to happen and if you take into account that all the LCDs are getting reworked, well this just makes sense having all the LCDs the same aspect ratio.

That's going to be a nice screen and I wonder if the new LCDs will come down in price again? That would be very nice. :D

D

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
What a lineup

17" Cinema
20" Cinema
23" Cinema HD
30" Cinema Rediculous

All Widescreen Portables

Tablet/Digital Hub/Communication Device

970 in Everything

This is not an impossibility within the next year.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
the current 17" display, while being the only of its brethren to not sport a widescreen aspect ratio, is also the only who still has the graphite-colored Apple logo, rather than the newer chrome color.

i doubt we'll be seeing much more this model.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Originally posted by Bear
Why yes, the 17" iMac is a widescreen. As a matter of fact, they are the same widescreen dimensions as the 17" Powerbook.
Yes, and I believe what Apple did, what they took the 17" iMac screen and basically builty the 17" PowerBook around it.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Originally posted by MacFan25
Yes, and I believe what Apple did, what they took the 17" iMac screen and basically builty the 17" PowerBook around it.

That is exactly what they did, as that is what Steve Job said when he introduced it in MWSF

aethier

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Supposedly Apple is working with Kodak on ...

an OLED .... same letters just juxtaposed.

I suspect that sometime next year flat panel iMacs and the "new device" announced soon will have OLEDs.

There was a mention in a slashdot post a while back about the iPod having an OLED on it.

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
Re: Supposedly Apple is working with Kodak on ...

Originally posted by adzoox

I suspect that sometime next year flat panel iMacs and the "new device" announced soon will have OLEDs.

OLEDs have too short a lifetime to be used in a machine that has a dedicated, built in display. They make sense in consumer portable because they have a much shorter expected lifetime.

Blackstealth

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Bradford, UK
Originally posted by morlium
the current 17" display, while being the only of its brethren to not sport a widescreen aspect ratio, is also the only who still has the graphite-colored Apple logo, rather than the newer chrome color.

Bzzt, Wrong. The 17" Studio display has had a chrome Apple on the front since the 23" was launched.

Anywho, it'd be nice if it was replaced - it has that nasty feature of not playing nice with Apple's DVi-ADC adapter..

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by Blackstealth
Bzzt, Wrong. The 17" Studio display has had a chrome Apple on the front since the 23" was launched.

Umm, I bought my 17" studio Display In Aug 2002, well after the HD, and its graphite... I was at the Apple store feb of this year, the 17" is still graphite. so, All I have to say is....
You way want to get your buzzer fixed..

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
actually

Originally posted by Jimong5
Umm, I bought my 17" studio Display In Aug 2002, well after the HD, and its graphite... I was at the Apple store feb of this year, the 17" is still graphite. so, All I have to say is....
You way want to get your buzzer fixed..

Actually, the guy with the buzzer is somewhat correct -- all of the newest 17" Studio displays have the chrome logo and the "whitish" cord. The graphite logo and "silverish" cord model is from the "previous" generation. I don't know when the change occurred, but the models are different. The chrome 17" studios are brighter, despite Apple's tech specs saying they are identical. I've seen both side by side and they are not identical.

A sure way to get the new one is to make sure the box is the "new" style. (The boxes are slightly different too). I just bought a 17" and made sure the box was the newer kind, sure enough, inside is the newer monitor.

Anyway, back to the rumor - I have no doubt it's true......why..........because I waited for MONTHS to get the 17" widescreen, it never showed up.....of course, weeks after I buy the 17" standard they would come out with the widescreen. Steve-O, if you're reading this :p

I have held of on my iPod and 15" PowerBook though :p

Tim

Blackstealth

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Bradford, UK
Originally posted by Jimong5
Umm, I bought my 17" studio Display In Aug 2002, well after the HD, and its graphite... I was at the Apple store feb of this year, the 17" is still graphite.

My 17" at work was new in May 02 and that's one of the chrome fronted variety. Bought one for use at home in October '02 and that's also chrome.

Do bit of research before trying to ridicule other peoples posts...

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Smart move

If this is true, it would be a smart move. I have one of the 17" screens that shipped with the Quicksilvers and would love to switch to a widescreen.

I wonder if the PowerBook, iMac and the new 17" LCD would all use the same part? May be a money saving technique.

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Re: Smart move

Originally posted by AllenPSU
If this is true, it would be a smart move. I have one of the 17" screens that shipped with the Quicksilvers and would love to switch to a widescreen.

I wonder if the PowerBook, iMac and the new 17" LCD would all use the same part? May be a money saving technique.

No, actually the reason for having the same 17-incher around for so long at this point is the high cost of the LG-Philips 17-inch panel used in the iMac and PowerBook. Apple already has a price poitn of $699 established for their 17-inch desktop display. I've been told a couple of times that "management was determined to meet or beat that price point with any widescreen 17-inch display introduction." So, Apple has been working with Chi Mei this year to bring a new widescreen panel into production to fit the bill. Using the LG panel at this price point would not let Apple hit their required margins.

Interestingly, the result is going to be a better panel, as the latest Chi Mei panels wallop the LG panels on performance (see the 20.1 inch Cinema Display panel for an example).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.