Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Picked up this old gem on eBay last week – an essentially pristine pre-unibody 17-inch Macbook Pro with an OEM battery that has, get this, 13 cycles on it. It has the glossy 1920x1200 screen and the screen holds up well even by today’s standards in terms of sharpness and clarity. It’s a November 2008 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo build with the updated version of the graphics card (8600M GT, 512mb) that likes to fail, so hopefully this one is good to go for awhile. I plan to replace the thermal paste in the near future regardless, as the previous owner told me that the computer has never been opened by anyone.

It came preinstalled (on the original hard drive!) with Mavericks and 2gb Ram (also original), but I installed a 500gb SSD and 6gb RAM from OWC and immediately installed El Capitan.

Once El Capitan was installed, I decided to try the dosdude1 Catalina patcher – your mileage may vary with this one, but it worked flawlessly for me from start to finish. We owe dosdude1 our gratitude, he really helps us keep these old Macs going.

The only real issues I had from the jump were:
  • The backlight on the keyboard wasn’t working
  • Office 365 and Chrome were crashing on open
There’s an old program called LabTick that allows you to control the keyboard backlight from the menu bar – it’s a decent workaround and works as advertised. Sadly, the brightness controls on the keyboard can’t be used to adjust the brightness, even with LabTick installed.

I found the solution to Office 365 and Chrome crashing on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CatalinaPatcher/comments/gdkrq9 .

Following those directions, I was able to make Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Chrome open and function correctly. The error has something to do with keychain permissions.

The Experience

1) It is simply astonishing how well this 13-year old machine runs Catalina for day-to-day tasks. Word, Outlook, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat are all very snappy. Google Chrome is a little bit slow, but Safari is very fast and fluid. YouTube videos run at 1080p with very little issue. It’s not as smooth of an experience as my M1 Mac Mini, but it’s far closer to the experience of my 2017 i5 13” MacBook Pro than it should be, at least on paper. I'm dual-booting with Mavericks and it runs Catalina bout 90% as well as it does Mavericks.

2) It runs Zoom just fine, although the camera naturally is not that good compared to newer Macs.

3) The biggest drawback of this computer is that it runs HOT. I can see why so many of these had short lives.

4) Put simply, the keyboard is the best Mac typing experience I’ve had. The keys are soft to the touch and very satisfying to press.

5) The 1920x1200 display is like retina before retina was retina…at least on a 17-inch screen. Sharpest screen I’ve ever had on a portable Mac other than my 2017 MBP. The only drawback here is brightness – it’s not terrible, but it’s visibly dimmer than newer Mac laptop displays…especially with dark mode enabled. Nevertheless, it’s still totally usable.

6) Bootup takes 60 seconds on this SSD, which still amazes me - and when I say 60 seconds, I mean you can launch an app within 60 seconds. Not super great by modern standards, but pretty incredible knowing how old the machine is. I think SATA 1 is the culprit here.

Basically - if you want one of these old guys for nostalgia purposes (like I did) but want to actually be able to use it, I'm pleased to report that it's still very usable for basic tasks in 2021 with a SSD and the maxed-out 6gb Ram.

IMG_1804..jpeg
IMG_1805.jpeg
IMG_1806.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_1808.jpeg
IMG_1811.jpeg
IMG_1812.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 11.54.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 11.56.22 PM.png

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Conrats! Such a fine machine!
I use the very same model as my daily driver (with 6GB RAM too, SSD and USB3.0 PCExpressCard).
To keep it cool it's always sitting on either an iLap Stand (at home) or LazyCouch (on the go).
I stayed with MojavePatch because I didn't want let go all my favorite 32bit Apps and because MojavePatch does support HFS+ (so in TargetDiskMode the drive can be mounted even with old PPC-hardware).
There's an extra 12GB partition reserved at the very end of my hard-drive for the MojavePatch-Installer (instead of a USB-stick), so I have the patcher always on board...
Watch PCI-Lane-Width to notice any dooming GPU-failure (values below the normal x16 are alarming).
Cheers, have fun!

Picked up this old gem on eBay last week – an essentially pristine pre-unibody 17-inch Macbook Pro with an OEM battery that has, get this, 13 cycles on it. It has the glossy 1920x1200 screen and the screen holds up well even by today’s standards in terms of sharpness and clarity. It’s a November 2008 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo build with the updated version of the graphics card (8600M GT, 512mb) that likes to fail, so hopefully this one is good to go for awhile. I plan to replace the thermal paste in the near future regardless, as the previous owner told me that the computer has never been opened by anyone.

It came preinstalled (on the original hard drive!) with Mavericks and 2gb Ram (also original), but I installed a 500gb SSD and 6gb RAM from OWC and immediately installed El Capitan.

Once El Capitan was installed, I decided to try the dosdude1 Catalina patcher – your mileage may vary with this one, but it worked flawlessly for me from start to finish. We owe dosdude1 our gratitude, he really helps us keep these old Macs going.

The only real issues I had from the jump were:
  • The backlight on the keyboard wasn’t working
  • Office 365 and Chrome were crashing on open
There’s an old program called LabTick that allows you to control the keyboard backlight from the menu bar – it’s a decent workaround and works as advertised. Sadly, the brightness controls on the keyboard can’t be used to adjust the brightness, even with LabTick installed.

I found the solution to Office 365 and Chrome crashing on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CatalinaPatcher/comments/gdkrq9 .

Following those directions, I was able to make Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Chrome open and function correctly. The error has something to do with keychain permissions.

The Experience

1) It is simply astonishing how well this 13-year old machine runs Catalina for day-to-day tasks. Word, Outlook, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat are all very snappy. Google Chrome is a little bit slow, but Safari is very fast and fluid. YouTube videos run at 1080p with very little issue. It’s not as smooth of an experience as my M1 Mac Mini, but it’s far closer to the experience of my 2017 i5 13” MacBook Pro than it should be, at least on paper. I'm dual-booting with Mavericks and it runs Catalina bout 90% as well as it does Mavericks.

2) It runs Zoom just fine, although the camera naturally is not that good compared to newer Macs.

3) The biggest drawback of this computer is that it runs HOT. I can see why so many of these had short lives.

4) Put simply, the keyboard is the best Mac typing experience I’ve had. The keys are soft to the touch and very satisfying to press.

5) The 1920x1200 display is like retina before retina was retina…at least on a 17-inch screen. Sharpest screen I’ve ever had on a portable Mac other than my 2017 MBP. The only drawback here is brightness – it’s not terrible, but it’s visibly dimmer than newer Mac laptop displays…especially with dark mode enabled. Nevertheless, it’s still totally usable.

6) Bootup takes 60 seconds on this SSD, which still amazes me - and when I say 60 seconds, I mean you can launch an app within 60 seconds. Not super great by modern standards, but pretty incredible knowing how old the machine is. I think SATA 1 is the culprit here.

Basically - if you want one of these old guys for nostalgia purposes (like I did) but want to actually be able to use it, I'm pleased to report that it's still very usable for basic tasks in 2021 with a SSD and the maxed-out 6gb Ram.

View attachment 1811260 View attachment 1811261 View attachment 1811262 View attachment 1811263 View attachment 1811264 View attachment 1811265 View attachment 1811266 View attachment 1811267 View attachment 1811268

Nice find!

Cosmetically, yours looks identical to mine, which I finally got back to running order last month (I got it in a swap for a bag of coffee, and I think its last use was sometime in either 2009 or 2010). One difference is there’s a factory-refurbished 2.6GHz board in it (OEM was a 2.5 with the failed GPU), and the battery I have in it is new, but aftermarket, and it’s a bit off. For now, I’m running a home-customized build of 10.6.8 on it, but I might try throwing High Sierra or Mojave on it eventually.

One tiny fact about the A1261s: they’re all “early 2008” (only the 15-inch MBP had a “late 2008” update, with the premiere of the unibody form factor), though mid-stream in October that year Apple did change the default size of the HDD in the A1261 from 250GB to 320GB.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
5) The 1920x1200 display is like retina before retina was retina…at least on a 17-inch screen.
It's only 133 ppi, roughly the same as an 11.6" MacBook Air. And it's a TN panel (to be fair, all laptops had TN panels back then). If only an IPS panel could be retrofitted... Anyway, congrats on the machine!

I’m running a home-customized build of 10.6.8
Details, please! :)

Reactions: sdwaltz
It's only 133 ppi, roughly the same as an 11.6" MacBook Air. And it's a TN panel (to be fair, all laptops had TN panels back then). If only an IPS panel could be retrofitted... Anyway, congrats on the machine!

Details, please! :)

It’s not as exciting as it sounds on paper, but it doesn’t need to be!

What I mean is this build of 10.6.8 started life as a 10.6.0 build of Snow Leopard, pre-installed on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro C2D/2.26 on 1 September 2009 (the same week Snow Leopard went on sale). (This also means I have the factory install DVD intended for that specific MBP, but I’ve never used it.) I bought that MBP from the Apple Store on 5 September (to replace the A1226 C2D/2.2 which was stolen a month earlier).

Snow Leopard lived on that mid-2009 steadily from 10.6.0 through 10.6.8, 2009 to 2011, until I accidentally killed that MBP (coconut water, don’t ask) and migrated its HDD to an early 2011 MacBook Pro i5/2.3 I bought to replace it. Whilst on there, I cloned it to an SSD, made various performance tweaks, and installed software and utilities whose installers are not all available nowadays (but which helped me with the kind of work I was doing during the 2011–2013 window).

That build continues to live on in the i5 MBP which still chugs away these days (albeit without a battery and with only one working SO-DIMM slot), but I went ahead and cloned it to an SSD for this A1261, and am installing software specifically for its life on here (such as the aforementioned LabTick, which isn’t needed with the unibody MBPs because of how Apple changed the function of backlighted keyboards for the unibody series).

In all, this build of Snow Leopard is rock-stable, has every tool I need at my fingertips, and it’s configured exactly as I need it. I move at my quickest when on this “home build”. It’s the closest I feel to being “at home” on a Mac. It would be tough for me to replicate the environment with any other Mac I have, and in several ways, I’ve never felt quite “at home” on any of my other Macs — even if I can manage to get them to function as close to this specific environment as possible.

teck13

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2019
I have a very similar machine. 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1920x1200 LED-backlit "antiglare” display, 6GB 0f memory and Seagate Momentus XT 750GB hybrid drive. Running El Capitan I don’t use the laptop very often anymore but I do use it occasionally. What I relate to most from this thread is that no other computer has every felt like "Mac home" like my 2018 17” MacBook Pro, and I have owned dozens of Macs over many years. It has the best keyboard ever on a laptop and also the best sound quality built into any laptop. The display still looks great and it’s surprisingly snappy for its age. Technology marches on but damn, what a great, impressive machine.

Reactions: B S Magnet
I have a very similar machine. 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1920x1200 LED-backlit "antiglare” display, 6GB 0f memory and Seagate Momentus XT 750GB hybrid drive. Running El Capitan I don’t use the laptop very often anymore but I do use it occasionally. What I relate to most from this thread is that no other computer has every felt like "Mac home" like my 2018 17” MacBook Pro, and I have owned dozens of Macs over many years. It has the best keyboard ever on a laptop and also the best sound quality built into any laptop. The display still looks great and it’s surprisingly snappy for its age. Technology marches on but damn, what a great, impressive machine.

Even more amazing is that specific Mac model is able to run, with patching, all the way up to Sonoma! My own, for now, still runs a patched High Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.