Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashakos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
Facing a problem I can't properly troubleshoot and was hoping to find anyone who has faced something similar with hopefully more optimistic results. I left my old macbook pro 17" on standby for a week till the battery drained since I was indoors and hadnt needed to use the laptop. Needing to use it 3 days ago I left it to charge up to 50% before turning it on. First attempt, nothing. Tried SMC reset and no luck. Opened up the mac and disconnected the battery, left it overnight. On turning it on the next morning it fired up and restored a hibernate mode to everything I had open last time I used. Thinking I had succeeded, I shut down the laptop so I can screw the bottom panel back and start using it. After putting back the bottom panel? Won't turn on again. Left it to fully charge, disconnected battery again, left overnight, tried again, left battery detached overnight again... no luvk. The laptop won't turn on any more. I assumed the problem would be solved by letting the charge in the capacitors drain out like I did the first time but that doesn't work the 2nd or 3rd time so now I'm stumped. If anyone's been through this before and has any tips I'd really appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.