Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
So my 17'' MBP got DOA'd thanks to on-off-on-off-on-off Airport and HDD lockups so I decided to spend the little bit extra in difference and swap to the MBA 2.13 SSD and a 24'' ACD.

I wanted the large display and mobility, but found that this really seems to be the better option for me. I'd been skeptical of the Airs, since I'd always had 15'' and 17'' Powerbooks and Macbooks and wasn't sure about the external monitor performance, etc. The first few gen Airs seemed to have lots of people complaining about the onboard GPU performance and sluggish response with the HDD. I didn't need the extra horsepower on the 17'' MBP and the 9400M chipset is amazingly capable.

Gotta say I'm impressed by what it can handle. Even plays games at decent frame rates :eek: Although only on the MBA native resolution, not 1920x1200 haha. No wonder they switched over to the 9400M on the Airs. Makes this very very capable as a daily driver PC.

Anyway, just a ''Happy with my change of heart'' post.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
So, lines or no on the Air display?

Anyway, congratulations. I really want a Mac, but I'm on and off between a Hackintosh Dell Mini 9 (for cost reasons only), a used white Macbook from craigslist (again, for cost reasons), A new 13" MBP, or the Air. But it's posts like this that remind me that waiting would probably be the best option, as I don't absolutely need a new computer right now anyway.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
So, lines or no on the Air display?

Anyway, congratulations. I really want a Mac, but I'm on and off between a Hackintosh Dell Mini 9 (for cost reasons only), a used white Macbook from craigslist (again, for cost reasons), A new 13" MBP, or the Air. But it's posts like this that remind me that waiting would probably be the best option, as I don't absolutely need a new computer right now anyway.

No lines. Display is gorgeous for its size. I'd held off on the previous gen Airs when I was looking to hop back onto Mac and I'm glad I did. The GPU alone on these makes blows the first gens out of the water.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Congratz on the purchase! Nice to see machines without lines are popping up. Hope you enjoy your new Mac. And the ACD's are to die for!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I also have this setup. The rev B/C MBAs with SSDs feel like Mac Pros when connected to this stunning display. I cannot believe that my three pound MBA, the size of a few magazines, is completely capable of being the perfect traveling Mac and yet as soon as plugged in to the 24" LED backlit ACD, it becomes super powerful, speedy, and capable.

I honestly don't understand why the new MBA isn't even more popular. And this 24" ACD is by far the most beautiful display too. And the absolute perfect docking station for the MBA.

For $1549 2.13 refurb MBA + $699 ACD, it's an absolute STEAL. The best buy EVER for a Mac! I have used both the 15" and 17" unibody MBPs, and they are beautiful but feel like bricks and yet not much more powerful.

So unless you are someone that truly needs more than 2 GB of RAM, this MBA and ACD combo is really an incredible buy.

As much as I love and appreciate the MBA, it wouldn't be half the Mac I believe it to be without the 24" ACD, AEBS (attached drive), and MobileMe! The entire setup is the best Mac system ever. Really, if you buy an MBA, it doesn't need to be a secondary Mac. It can do it all as long as you get rev B/C with SSD. Forget the thought of it being your secondary Mac, include a 24" ACD and it will amaze you! I use my MBA like it's a Mac Pro, and it smokes through everything I expect of it. Don't knock it until you have tried it!

Sorry for the excessive lust as I look at my most incredible Mac ever from the bed while typing on my iPhone 3GS! This stuff is all so very addicting!

Oh and to the OP, CONGRATULATIONS!

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
The only gripe I have is not having 4GB Ram, but it hasn't been an issue for me as of yet. The thing is insanely zippy with the SSD. I'd rather have the new X-18M from Intel in here with the 34nm chips, but I can always swap out later.

So far the only thing I don't like on the ACD are two things. 1 - there's no way to control brightness and all that on a PC if I ever connect it to one. And 2 - the input lag is horrendous.

But the input lag only comes into play if you game on it, which I don't. Other than that the display is stunning. Deep blacks, incredibly rich colors. All around great display.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
I'd rather have the new X-18M from Intel in here with the 34nm chips, but I can always swap out later.

A word of caution, the MBA uses a non-typical drive interface: SATA-LIF, which is seemingly not available for any drives on the retail market (the drive in the MBA is a rebadged Samsung FlashSSD drive). It is part of the SATA standard; however, it is just not generally available. Hopefully, that will change over time. Based on the data sheets, it looks like a micro-SATA or standard SATA connection on the X-18M for both the 5mm and 8mm variety.

Perhaps, as the number of 1.8" SSDs with capacities above 128GB increases, some enterprising individual or individuals will make a replacement drive cable that connects to the MBA mobo and to either micro-SATA or SATA drives.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
For $1549 2.13 refurb MBA + $699 ACD, it's an absolute STEAL. The best buy EVER for a Mac! I have used both the 15" and 17" unibody MBPs, and they are beautiful but feel like bricks and yet not much more powerful.

^^^ That is a VERY TRUE statement .... many potential MacBook buyers should consider that option.

I have a Mac Pro, and and '09 MacBook Pro 15" a few ACD's and my (amazing) MacBook Air ...

I can't think of a better combo than the MBA and 24" ACD ...

I mean I really like my Mac Pro, it's hooked up to one ACD, sometimes two. As good and as fast as it is, to use it I'm tied to a desk which I quickly get bored of so it serves as a machine for real heavy lifting, back up, server, downloader etc

Then there's my 15" MacBook Pro, I really like it too, the things that stand out in it over the Air is the keyboard is a little nicer, (softer keys/more travel) and the screen being 15" and a higher res shows more detail .... the trade off is bulk and weight, it's more cumbersome and less fun to use, you're less apt to just grab it anytime and start typing on it, like I am with the Air ...

Now to the Mac Book Air... it's a netbook (with a full size keyboard and screen), it's a desktop when hooked up to an external monitor. You have a great screen readable under direct sunlight unlike the MBP's, super thin, super light weight, you notice it no more than a large file folder in your bag and you can truly use it anywhere, it is an amazing machine....

It's my favorite and at most times I have a 15" MBP within arms reach as well and I reach for the Air 9 out of 10 times to go sit at my desk for hours using the Mac Pro is something I'd rather avoid, the Air and ACD is the 'sweet spot' for computing, (provided you're editing movies and doing really heavy tasks...)

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
^^^ That is a VERY TRUE statement .... many potential MacBook buyers should consider that option.

I have a Mac Pro, and and '09 MacBook Pro 15" a few ACD's and my (amazing) MacBook Air ...

I can't think of a better combo than the MBA and 24" ACD ...

I mean I really like my Mac Pro, it's hooked up to one ACD, sometimes two. As good and as fast as it is, to use it I'm tied to a desk which I quickly get bored of so it serves as a machine for real heavy lifting, back up, server, downloader etc

Then there's my 15" MacBook Pro, I really like it too, the things that stand out in it over the Air is the keyboard is a little nicer, (softer keys/more travel) and the screen being 15" and a higher res shows more detail .... the trade off is bulk and weight, it's more cumbersome and less fun to use, you're less apt to just grab it anytime and start typing on it, like I am with the Air ...

Now to the Mac Book Air... it's a netbook (with a full size keyboard and screen), it's a desktop when hooked up to an external monitor. You have a great screen readable under direct sunlight unlike the MBP's, super thin, super light weight, you notice it no more than a large file folder in your bag and you can truly use it anywhere, it is an amazing machine....

It's my favorite and at most times I have a 15" MBP within arms reach as well and I reach for the Air 9 out of 10 times to go sit at my desk for hours using the Mac Pro is something I'd rather avoid, the Air and ACD is the 'sweet spot' for computing, (provided you're editing movies and doing really heavy tasks...)

here's a better combo ;) MBP 13" 2.53 and MBA Rev C 2.13/SSD hooked up to Dell 3008 wfp (30" LCD) using a $20 mini-display port to regular display port...

although I agree the 24" ACD looks great, I'll wait till they replace the 30" ACD, I bought the 3008 wfp last year to replace my 30" ACD which looks outdated

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
here's a better combo ;) MBP 13" 2.53 and MBA Rev C 2.13/SSD hooked up to Dell 3008 wfp (30" LCD) using a $20 mini-display port to regular display port...

although I agree the 24" ACD looks great, I'll wait till they replace the 30" ACD, I bought the 3008 wfp last year to replace my 30" ACD which looks outdated

That is a nice set up. Do you use your 13" MBP with the display more as a desktop and your Air for portable use?

mhbethany

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
My mouth is just watering by all of this tech talk. I wish I had about $10,000 to buy everything I've always wanted!! :)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
My mouth is just watering by all of this tech talk. I wish I had about $10,000 to buy everything I've always wanted!! :)

With all the recent price drops, my addiction has become much more affordable. I really feel blessed to own such a Mac as the MBA and have it connected to a 24" ACD is nothing but shear JOY! I truly have tech geek lust over my Mac setup. Throw in my BT Apple wireless KB, AEBS, MobileMe, and it's all too much fun!

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
The MBA and LED display is an awesome combo, especially at refurb prices. I had to trade back my MBA for a 17" MBP since I do a lot of audio recording and video editing, otherwise I would have gone that route, too.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Don't you miss the long battery life and glass trackpad? Those are two things that are keeping me away from the Air...

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
That is a nice set up. Do you use your 13" MBP with the display more as a desktop and your Air for portable use?

I was using the MBA with the 30" originally, but I picked up a 13" MBP with SSD and now prefer that.. My issue with the MBA (and I had RevA/B/C) is that they overheat. On my Rev C with coolbook + smcfancontrol I hit 220 temp and computer totally shut down... Did this 3 times last night so I got pissed off and got up this AM and bought the MBP

:)

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
I was using the MBA with the 30" originally, but I picked up a 13" MBP with SSD and now prefer that.. My issue with the MBA (and I had RevA/B/C) is that they overheat. On my Rev C with coolbook + smcfancontrol I hit 220 temp and computer totally shut down... Did this 3 times last night so I got pissed off and got up this AM and bought the MBP

Yes, I understand what you mean about the heat, that's really my only concern with my MBA. I'm careful not to use it for tasks that may make it heat to the point where it shuts down ... don't like that much :)

I have my 15" MBP for doing more demanding tasks away from my desk, and my Mac Pro for everything and anything.

In a way the MBA has spoiled me, I like it so much *but* in a way I wish I never owned one because now I can't/won't part with it .... therefore I bought the 15" MBP and carry in only on the days I'll need the power....

What I'm getting at is what I "should" own is a 13" MBP and eliminate the MBA and the 15" MBP ... then I'm using two computers instead of three, less confusing for sure.

A 13" MBP would do everything I need to do away from my desk, instead I bought the MBA and after hearing the fan more than I liked and noticing just a little lag in video work I went and bought the MBP 15", 256ssd, SD etc, a real nice screaming machine :) That's how I ended up with 3 computers in total. For organizing and keeping files straight it would be easier if I only had two computers, such as a 13" MBP and the Mac Pro .... I should but will I? Not likely, the Air is actually my favorite of the bunch. Now if Apple could tweak out just a few more of the problems it would be an unreal machine!

sahnjuro

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
MB/MBP/MBA's aluminum body is very good at retaining heat, especially during an extended use. On occasions when they are used heavily for like 5-8 hours, I've found that everything gets toasty - even the palm rest. It's so hot that it gets hard to continue working. I believe that poor heat dissipation is one of the several design flaws of the current generation MB/MBP/MBA.

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
MB/MBP/MBA's aluminum body is very good at retaining heat, especially during an extended use. On occasions when they are used heavily for like 5-8 hours, I've found that everything gets toasty - even the palm rest. It's so hot that it gets hard to continue working. I believe that poor heat dissipation is one of the several design flaws of the current generation MB/MBP/MBA.

it's definitely an MBA issue... The MBP i just bought is super quiet and doesn't even get warm :/

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004

o_O Were it not aluminum, the heat retension would be worse. Aluminum has a very high thermal conductivity. The only way the thing could stay cooler with the current design is if they built i out of pure copper.

I have the Rev. C and the only time I've had the fans spin up is when I accidentally had the fans blocked. Other than that I can have a video playing, USB plugged in, browsing via wireless, etc. without any heat/noise issues. Fans don't go above 4000, even with 4 or 5 apps open. If you have the system stressed 100% then yea obviously the thing's going to get warm and the fans are going to speed up.

I had a 15'' Late '08 unibody as well and didn't have any of those issues with it either. Only issue I had with it was a "crunchy" trackpad. But that's another issue entirely. If I stressed the GPU 100% via gaming it would crank up the fan speed, but the heat was localized around the CPU/GPU and never the palm rest area. The palm rest area sits over the battery and HDD. If you're getting extremely warm there, that's not a good sign.

But in terms of heat dissipation via the current design: The largest improvement could only come via a more efficient intake/exhaust airflow. But that would likely require making the laptop thicker to accomodate a larger fan with more airflow, or deeper to accomodate a larger diameter one that spins at a lower RPM.

But blaming the aluminum? Hahaha. Thermal Conductivity 101 no no.

If you're encoding 8 hours a day or fully stressing the system 8 hours a day, wouldn't that be a sign that you need a dedicated desktop system? Although the 17'' MBP doesn't seem to have an issue with it. Maybe it's the larger cooling setup and aluminum enclosure.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004

Really? Didn't think about swapping it out as maybe a DOA? I have the Rev C and haven't had any heat issues thus far. Even with HD video, wireless and USB all up and running simultaneously.

And I'm a picky ******* when it comes to my Apple units. If there was something wrong with it, I'd definitely be posting about it.

Ambient temps play a larger role with the Air though.

I've noticed that the fan speeds above 1800 rpm only seem to kick on if the Air shows 55-60°C or higher in smcfancontrol. Changing out the thermal paste to AS5 supposedly gives a 5° drop on the Airs, which when under load can be the difference between 1800rpm and 4000rpm fans.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

How is that a better combo? It makes absolutely ZERO sense to me. Neither is the power machine as both have C2D with 9400m. Both have 13" displays with low resolution. That is about the most redundant setup possible. I have no clue in the world why one would do that?????

If you prefer the MBP, great stick with that. If you need one for travel and one for home, why not pair the MBA with 15" or 17" or what makes far more sense, an iMac! What can the 13" MBP do that the MBA cannot? FireWire???

Seriously, that has to be the very most over-redundant setup of two extremely similar in capability Macs! I really don't get how that is supposedly better???

I understand why SOME need their MBA as a second Mac, but not to a 13" MBP that has no bigger display/resolution, no more real power, identical graphics performance with same GPU. If someone needs a primary Mac and the MBA to be secondary, the primary should have some feature MBA is not capable of. Higher resolution or bigger display... dedicated graphics... superior GPU... something that is superior in a way that they NEED for their app use.

To each their own...

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
How is that a better combo? It makes absolutely ZERO sense to me. Neither is the power machine as both have C2D with 9400m. Both have 13" displays with low resolution. That is about the most redundant setup possible. I have no clue in the world why one would do that?????

If you prefer the MBP, great stick with that. If you need one for travel and one for home, why not pair the MBA with 15" or 17" or what makes far more sense, an iMac! What can the 13" MBP do that the MBA cannot? FireWire???

Seriously, that has to be the very most over-redundant setup of two extremely similar in capability Macs! I really don't get how that is supposedly better???

I understand why SOME need their MBA as a second Mac, but not to a 13" MBP that has no bigger display/resolution, no more real power, identical graphics performance with same GPU. If someone needs a primary Mac and the MBA to be secondary, the primary should have some feature MBA is not capable of. Higher resolution or bigger display... dedicated graphics... superior GPU... something that is superior in a way that they NEED for their app use.

To each their own...

a) superior combo referring to mac laptop + bigger LCD given the new nVidia cards can now power a 30"
b) I have a RevA/B and now C MBA with SSD which I was using exclusively 24/7 until it started overheating. Today I replaced it with MBP 13" (I would never buy a 17 not 15" laptop and I have a MacPro hooked up to another 30" LCD for serious work)

hope this answers your rant :)

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009

To each their own...

geez Scottsdale, kind of a degrading/insulting post ... maroulis made it clear why he bought his 13" MBP because his Air was over heating doing certain tasks .... he likes a 13" MBP with an external display a long with his MBA ... what's so wrong with that, I see his point completely, he doesn't like 15" or 17" MBP's so be it don't tear a strip off his back for doing what suits him, or not doing what 'you' think he should do ... :rolleyes:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I'm loving my 2.13 refurb Air.

...So much that I just ordered the 24" ACD.

I gotta eBay some stuff very fast to pay for all of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.