Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bussta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Am scratching my head and need some advise,

I am looking at two models;

17" 2.16 with 2 Gig Ram & 128M x1600

or

20" 2.16 with 2 Gig Ram & 256M x1600

Now here's my question, which would be better for playing games, fps & flight sims in bootcamp. I can imagine that the resolution of the 17" will look crisper as it's a smaller screen, but would I notice much difference by getting the 20" with the extra 128mb of video ram performance wise and graphic wise??

Is the video ram gonna make any real difference, or would it be equal to the 128 in the 17" due to the larger screen res of the 20" needing more ram for the resolution? - would there be no real difference in performace and looks?

On paper the two machines would have exactly the same spec, so would it be better option to get the 20" for the extra 128Mb of v ram (if only you could upgrade the 17" to 256 X1600 -it only gives you the option of 128!)

I will be using it for photos, web, but mostly for playing BF2 e.t.c

I want to be able to play it at the best res with the highest settings, so if anyone can advise me before I take the plunge that would be great!

:rolleyes:

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
I would lean more towards the 17" because it won't need as much power as a 20".
But having the option of upgrading the card in a 17" iMac would be greatly appreciated.
I wonder when that is going to happen.

Do you really need a 20" screen (or 24") to play a FPS game. in the time it takes you to look from one corner to the next you would've been killed already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.