Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PSS4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Greetings, This is my first post (2nd now...).I had posted in General Apple Tech, but apparently no one knew anything, or responded anyway....Can any of you fellow musicians out there help me out? I'm about to buy a powerbook, and noticed that the new 17" comes with an optical input- for hooking up decks, CD players, instruments etc...I was wondering if anyone has used them and how do they work? For Instance if I hooked up a DAT player or an audio CD player, would the PB recognize the audio signal? And if so, how-on what program? i.e. could I import my DAT collection right onto the powerbook and then into iTunes? Will I still need a Digi Designs type MBox to hook up a guitar to the PB??? TIA

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
PSS4 said:
Greetings, This is my first post (2nd now...).I had posted in General Apple Tech, but apparently no one knew anything, or responded anyway....Can any of you fellow musicians out there help me out? I'm about to buy a powerbook, and noticed that the new 17" comes with an optical input- for hooking up decks, CD players, instruments etc...I was wondering if anyone has used them and how do they work? For Instance if I hooked up a DAT player or an audio CD player, would the PB recognize the audio signal? And if so, how-on what program? i.e. could I import my DAT collection right onto the powerbook and then into iTunes? Will I still need a Digi Designs type MBox to hook up a guitar to the PB??? TIA

They work like regular i/o's with the proviso that you'll need special optical cables and machines on the other end that speak the same language.

I think the optical i/o on the 17" is S/PDIF, (Sony/panasonic Digital Interface Format) so you'll need kit with S/PDIF i/o's to connect. Once you know the format is correct, it's a very simple case of selecting the correct input and recording, the data transfer rates, bit rates and the like are handled by the sending machine.

I assume selecting the input is done in the Sound panel, but I'm not certain, as my 17" is a rev A.

Any audio recording app could then be used to record the audio, Garageband is free with the machine, buut if you want a better system then Protools M-box works well, as does Logic etc.

Yes, you'll need an interface for your guitar, if you want to use Protools, then it's either the M-box or lots of cash for a 002, otherwise check out M-audio and Logic, DP4, Cubase etc.

If you buy an M-box, you don't need to buy a 17" PB, as the M-box comes with an S/PDIF connector as well, and will send the audio down standard USB. Other interfaces will also feature digital inputs.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
WinterMute's post nailed it.

One thing to consider - optical inputs/outputs, or Toslink, can carry eight channels of audio, while USB can carry only two.

PSS4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks

:) Very Nice, Thank You....I knew someone out there would know the answer, since I have sony and panasonic DATs I think it could be a perfect match. Looking forward to becoming a Powerbook Owner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.