Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Hi all. I bought a 17 inch PB a couple of weeks ago and would like to share my thoughts and experiences with it.

I was excited when I came home from class and saw my PB waiting in my kitchen. Unfortunately, I had to head to work... but why not bring it with me? :)

At work I set it up. I have to agree with everyone who says Apple has great packaging. Oh, and that new Apple smell is unforgettable. I took some birthing photos, which you can see here. http://community.webshots.com/album/515299862VxjSqL

First thing I did was run the hardware test cd. No problems! I wiped the hard drive clean and installed a new copy of OS X. On coming home I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning coping files from my old computer onto here. I did notice a dead (or stuck?) pixel. I was able to fix it with the massage technique. Hooray for a flawless PB!

My thoughts on the machine:

1) Whoever says the 17" isn't portable is lying. I am able to carry it around everywhere without a problem. It's light, very thin and not too big.
2) It's a pretty fast machine. Although I think "speed" is a relative term. I am coming from an 800 MHz Sawtooth. This PB rips though tasks that my Sawtooth would choke on.
3) It's a gorgeous computer. Really puts my friend's Dell to shame in the looks department.

This is my first laptop purchase and I must say it's going to be hard to go back to a desktop. I like being able to carry around my computer everywhere in case I need it. I've been in computing bliss for the past two weeks.

I also bought a 1 GB stick of RAM from datamem.com, a v270 Bluetooth mouse from Logitech and a Crumpler bag to accompany my new computer. So far everything has worked flawlessly and I couldn't be happier.

If anyone has any questions on the machine I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Congrats man. It happens that my first Mac was my current 17" PB , I absolutely love this thing too. Enjoy this new awesome machine. :D

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
The 17" is sweet, in about 8 or 9 months I will definetley buy a used 17", probably a rev a or b since they are extremley painfully expensive.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new 17" PowerBook G4
Fezwick. :)

I had the same fun and joy when I first got my 12" iBook G4- good times. :)

Alone2Gether

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
I love my Powerbook. Only one complaint with it though, AirPort.

We just moved a couple of days ago so no internet connection for a few days but someone on my block is running an open network. Too bad my Powerbook can't connect to it but the Dell Inspiron 6000 and the wireless card (Netgear) in my desktop both connect fine. :(

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Alone2Gether said:
I love my Powerbook. Only one complaint with it though, AirPort.

We just moved a couple of days ago so no internet connection for a few days but someone on my block is running an open network. Too bad my Powerbook can't connect to it but the Dell Inspiron 6000 and the wireless card (Netgear) in my desktop both connect fine. :(

That's weird. I get pretty good wireless reception on my PB. Had a full signal in my friends basement. The wireless router is located on the top floor of his house.

Hopefully I can experiment more when I get Airport Express.

Alone2Gether

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
A few more days and the Cable and Netgear router will be up but I wanna use Safari. :mad:

Only reason I have PeeCees around is because I need to run Pro/Engineer.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Fezwick said:
That's weird. I get pretty good wireless reception on my PB. Had a full signal in my friends basement. The wireless router is located on the top floor of his house.

Hopefully I can experiment more when I get Airport Express.

PB's don't have the best reception due to the fact that Aluminum blocks the signal. The two plastic pieces on the sides of your monitor are there to improve wifi reception.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
adk said:
PB's don't have the best reception due to the fact that Aluminum blocks the signal. The two plastic pieces on the sides of your monitor are there to improve wifi reception.

I heard about that. Are the plastic pieces a new addition to the PB line?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.