Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
The Register is reporting that 15" iMacs are being phased out and 17" iMacs are being phased in.

They also say that 19" iMac is due for launch in the 4th quarter.

Their source is apparently the Taiwanese press...

sorry that link should have been called the inquirer as it points there...

more haste less speed...

thanks petee

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
19'' imacs seem very unplausable, but those two sources are accurate an amazing amount of the time

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
that'dd be WAYYYYYY to freaking expensive for the average mac user, probably would cost as much (if not more) as a powerbook or more

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Well, if I own a 15" iMac is not because of the price only, 15" are nice, small and easy to place on any desk top, the 17" looks like a mentally challenge computer, it takes a bit more room, it is ugly an heavy. In my case I rather have a 15" for what it does.

.... I'm just realising we are talking about the new iMacs, sorry :D

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by SilvorX
that'dd be WAYYYYYY to freaking expensive for the average mac user, probably would cost as much (if not more) as a powerbook or more

Not necessarily. You can be sure that as soon as the 15" iMacs are phased out the price of the 17" iMac will drop considerably, and a 19" iMac will be about the price of a 17" today. :) Don't get me wrong, but this is exactly how the tech industry works. ;)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
hmmmmmmmmmm

That would be a cool machine.

I would just hope that they ditch the white plastic on move to a more exciting design. Maybe slightly larger base with AGP upgradeability.

petee

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2002
Asheboro, North Carolina
I agree...
I would love to see an APG slot to upgrade the vid card. This may go against the whole point of the iMac line though.

With a 19" screen I suspect it would have to have a larger base which could translate to more expandability. I think that it would also make it more marketable to potential switchers who expect to be able to upgrade their computers.

Here's to hoping...

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
And before you know it, the 15" Studio Display may also disappear, the 17" will come down in price, and a new 19" Studio Display will be introduced.

*Shrek Cheers!* :)

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
Pro 19" iMac

I refuse to think that a 19" iMac is an "insane" idea. My reasons are as follow.

1. The current clear and white border of the 17" iMac is well over an inch wide on all sides. It is plausible to have a 19" screen that is almost the same size as the 17" iMac (for reference, compare the screen borders of the Tibook and iBook). The TiBook screen border is about a cm wide.

2. The current base is large and heavy enough to handle 19" easily, although a larger base that allows consumer to upgrade video card etc. is a positive addition. The total weight of a 17" iMac is ~22 lbs, albeit the screen make up less than 30% of the total weight.

3. Call me weird, but there are a lot of people like me that wants to watch movies on my computer, and a 19" widescreen is much better than a 15".

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
Just a couple things on the topic of costs.

Firstly Hon Hai has apparently been awarded the contract for production. If this is the case Apple will have significantly cut costs based on the contract prices being charged. Quanta charges significantly more than Hon Hai.

Secondly if they use a 19" LCD it will likely be widescreen. This means lower costs compared to regular aspect ratios.

Thirdly the LCD will likely be a 5th generation LCD rather than the 4G currently used. A 17" 5G LCD should cost around the price of an old 15" LCD and the 19" should come in probably near current 17" prices. That alone means it wouldn't be hard to switch the monitors without incurring additional costs.

I don't know a thing about style or the arm so debate that until you turn blue and yes I did just basically repost what I said in another thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.