Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Whenever my router, a Linksys WRT54GX2 assigns a 192.168 address to me for DHCP, my Mac can never connect to the internet. The same with my iPod Touch and the other 3 mac's in my household.

The only way my Mac can get a connection is if i renew the DHCP lease, and it assigns me a 10.10.10.X address.

The reason this is a problem is because I want to forward ports to my mac, and the setting in the router only gives me the option to forward ports to a 192.168.1.XXX address, leaving the a box only for the 3 last digits. And i can only access the router (at the address 192.168.1.1) when i manually assign my IP as a 192.168 address.

Any help? Im really a noob at this... I'll post some screenies below.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 127

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You need to have a public IP (10.10.x.x) in order to have internet access apparently, and you cannot do port forwarding without reconfiguring your router to provide network address translation.

Wait, what are the DHCP settings on the router?

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
You need to have a public IP (10.10.x.x) in order to have internet access apparently, and you cannot do port forwarding without reconfiguring your router to provide network address translation.

how do i reconfigure it to do this? and what setting should i look for?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
how do i reconfigure it to do this? and what setting should i look for?

Not sure, I have custom firmware on my router, so I haven't seen linksys software in years.

It should be on the Wireless LAN setup page, maybe ...

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
It sounds like you have two DHCP servers running on your network. Do you have an Airport Express or similar as well as your router?

There's one underneath it that my dads uses, but that only connect to his computer. An ethernet cable comes from his and plugs in the linksys.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Whenever my router, a Linksys WRT54GX2 assigns a 192.168 address to me for DHCP, my Mac can never connect to the internet. The same with my iPod Touch and the other 3 mac's in my household.

The only way my Mac can get a connection is if i renew the DHCP lease, and it assigns me a 10.10.10.X address.

The reason this is a problem is because I want to forward ports to my mac, and the setting in the router only gives me the option to forward ports to a 192.168.1.XXX address, leaving the a box only for the 3 last digits. And i can only access the router (at the address 192.168.1.1) when i manually assign my IP as a 192.168 address.

Any help? Im really a noob at this... I'll post some screenies below.

You also mentioned that your dad has a router. Which one connects to the Internet (to your cable modem, dsl modem, fios router, etc)? I am guessing not yours, since its addresses aren't working for you. The easiest way to fix would be to set up the router NOT directly connected to the Internet as a bridge instead of a router, so that you will only have one router on your network. Another method that I doubt you will want to try is setting up static routes on the router connected to the Internet (again guessing it is your father's) to know how to route to the 192.168.1.0 network and disabling NAT (network address translation) on the inner router. You could also just simplify the design and collapse down to just one router. Is there a reason you need two different routers?

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
You also mentioned that your dad has a router. Which one connects to the Internet (to your cable modem, dsl modem, fios router, etc)? I am guessing not yours, since its addresses aren't working for you. The easiest way to fix would be to set up the router NOT directly connected to the Internet as a bridge instead of a router, so that you will only have one router on your network. Another method that I doubt you will want to try is setting up static routes on the router connected to the Internet (again guessing it is your father's) to know how to route to the 192.168.1.0 network and disabling NAT (network address translation) on the inner router. You could also just simplify the design and collapse down to just one router. Is there a reason you need two different routers?

My dad needs it for his laptop to connect to his business um.... stuff.

The both connect to the internet... We have 3 different cables... One plugs into the bottom router (my dads), one plugs from my dads to his computer, and the third connects from the bottom router into the linksys. It's sort of like internet sharing... receives a signal, and sends it out a different way, i guess. I can't change any settings in the bottom one.... my dad doesnt trust me for ****.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
As one said, you have 2 DHCP servers running. Second problem is that port forwarding will not work in that configuration. The first router is giving out 10.10.10.xxx addresses and is also hosting the internet, therefore for any device to connect to the internet must have a 10.10.10.xxx number because the gateway has a 10.10.10.xxx address. Any other address will just act as a separate network and can not talk to gateway. If you want to use the linksys, you have to either turn off its DHCP server or connect the other router into the linksyss WAN port with then separate the linksys network from the other network, but be piggybacking the internet. But this is all pointless, since there is no need since port forwarding will not work.
You still have the firewall of the first router blocking all access. even if you have ports open on the linksys, the other router is still blocking. Its like an open door in a house to your room, but if the front door is locked, no one can get to your room.
I recommend dropping one router and using only one. Its is the only way to get what you want.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
As one said, you have 2 DHCP servers running. Second problem is that port forwarding will not work in that configuration. The first router is giving out 10.10.10.xxx addresses and is also hosting the internet, therefore for any device to connect to the internet must have a 10.10.10.xxx number because the gateway has a 10.10.10.xxx address. Any other address will just act as a separate network and can not talk to gateway. If you want to use the linksys, you have to either turn off its DHCP server or connect the other router into the linksyss WAN port with then separate the linksys network from the other network, but be piggybacking the internet. But this is all pointless, since there is no need since port forwarding will not work.
You still have the firewall of the first router blocking all access. even if you have ports open on the linksys, the other router is still blocking. Its like an open door in a house to your room, but if the front door is locked, no one can get to your room.
I recommend dropping one router and using only one. Its is the only way to get what you want.

Thanks man. We can't really do that, but i'll probably find a way to change the setting to change the gateway.

The answer really helped :)

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I was thinking, If you must use 2 routers (as pointless as it is) you can piggyback the linksys on top the other router by using the WAN port on the linksys and forwarding all ports you need on the other router to the external address of the linksys which will be a 10.10.10.xxx. Then you can do your port forwarding on your linksys. You see how pointless 2 routers are by the need to open ports on 2 routers for no reason other than the fact you have 2 routers.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I was thinking, If you must use 2 routers (as pointless as it is) you can piggyback the linksys on top the other router by using the WAN port on the linksys and forwarding all ports you need on the other router to the external address of the linksys which will be a 10.10.10.xxx. Then you can do your port forwarding on your linksys. You see how pointless 2 routers are by the need to open ports on 2 routers for no reason other than the fact you have 2 routers.

I pretty much solved it:

I'll buy an ethernet splitter, and attach it to the cable coming from the modem. Then i'll have one cable coming from the splitter go into the bottom router, which my dad uses for a VPN to his work office, and have another cable from the splitter go into the Airtport Extreme i got. That way, the 2 routers won't interfere with eachother, correct?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I pretty much solved it:

I'll buy an ethernet splitter, and attach it to the cable coming from the modem. Then i'll have one cable coming from the splitter go into the bottom router, which my dad uses for a VPN to his work office, and have another cable from the splitter go into the Airtport Extreme i got. That way, the 2 routers won't interfere with eachother, correct?

That won't work, you can't have two devices sharing one port without a switch.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I pretty much solved it:

Sorry, you can't split a digital signal.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I pretty much solved it:

wont work since you only get 1 IP address from your ISP If you use a ethernet hub, only 1 router will work since the other one will not get an address from your isp.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
wont work since you only get 1 IP address from your ISP If you use a ethernet hub, only 1 router will work since the other one will not get an address from your isp.

Ok, i fixed it. I got the Airport Extreme, put it in bridge mode, and everything works perfectly. I just need change the settings in the bottom router, and it'll pass through the AE.

Thanks so much everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.