Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
I’ve been looking forward to this as I read the book it’s based upon a while back. Really good footage and sound clips from the people that were there. Documenting the death of the 60’s hippy optimism into the troubled early 1970’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: davcole

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
For a UK person like myself, it’s a bit too US focused but then episode 3, which covers the birth of glam pop/rock with Bowie, Marc Bolan and Alice Cooper has a strong UK focus. It’s really good to hear the voices of those who were there and especially those who have gone, Bowie, Bolan, Lennon etc

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
It seems well-made, but definitely not for me. I don't really recognise any of the music it references so a lot is lost on me. Nice to see/hear things I don't know at all, but it isn't going to have that nostalgia factor for me that it seems to be banking on.

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I liked how they used poor old Clive Dunn's "granddad" song to show how uncool pop was in early 1971, that was a massive hit!

Reactions: mrsmith1

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
Finished watching the series last night. Really enjoyed it. Putting the social context into the music that was made at the time made it highly watchable. Being a white Brit, I enjoyed the look at soul music and the black American experience in 1971 because the voices really got over what it was like.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Having grown up / Lived in that era I find it interesting and love the music. Reminds me of how far we haven't come

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
Finished this last night. An enjoyable series but some episodes were a bit confused, the last one probably the worst of the lot with it jumping around from topic to topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.