Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by cr2sh
Its a logical statement... that doesn't carry a lot of weight. If they're going to go through the hassle of updating the girl running with an ipod... its obvious she's in the present. Why would she be destroying the enemy of the past? The ipod is there because microsoft represents the totalitarian, their attempt to take over everything (mp3 market included). By destroying big brother with an mp3 player on, the ad is saying that Apple plans to start a revolution, all over again, using the ipod... the first great strike of this revolution begins... on the 24th. mwahahaha!

I'm being dumb, I know. :) It was a joke...

HAHA ... the wonderful world of over analysis ...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Personally I think the iPod was a fantastic addition. She needs something to block out the mind numbing thought conditioning constant drone of the world created in the book of 1984. With the iPod the 1984 add is complete. We now know why she was able to resist and was not like the rest of the brain washed zombies.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
Personally I think the iPod was a fantastic addition. She needs something to block out the mind numbing thought conditioning constant drone of the world created in the book of 1984. With the iPod the 1984 add is complete. We now know why she was able to resist and was not like the rest of the brain washed zombies.

Because she uses an Apple product :)

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Well that and the fact she couldn't hear the brainwashing over the music on her iPod.

Thats my point i'm still going on your analysis ... The iPod is the Apple product.

The parallel lies with the "think different" concept ... Use a mac, don't follow the masses :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by revenuee
Thats my point i'm still going on your analysis ... The iPod is the Apple product.

The parallel lies with the "think different" concept ... Use a mac, don't follow the masses :)

Okay just wanting to make sure I had my point clear.

Your correct that it has to be an Apple product. If it were anything else she were listening to it would just be a grey box and she would marching in line with everyone else.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Your correct that it has to be an Apple product. If it were anything else she were listening to it would just be a grey box and she would marching in line with everyone else.

You guys seem to be saying that Apple makes us think different.. as if Apple's products create something in us that wasn't here before. That's a contradiction to the theme of the Apple advertisement.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
You guys seem to be saying that Apple makes us think different.. as if Apple's products create something in us that wasn't here before. That's a contradiction to the theme of the Apple advertisement.

Not makes ... helps

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Originally posted by Squire
Maybe just after Steve viewed the iPod touch-up, he whispered to the guy doing the work, "...and see that '84 there, John? Change it to an '04...but don't make it really obvious."

And now Steve is sitting at home with a glass of brandy reading this thread and laughing his ass off.

Squire

May or may not have been Jobs but I think somebody at Apple has a sense of humor.

MacBandit

macrumors 604

No no not at all. It's just that those that are different fit in to the low percentage of the population the same way that Apple fits the low percentage of computer owners. We're different just because we choose not to convert and follow Bill into the sunset.

brad

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2001
...I haven't got time to read through all the posts, but in regards to the ad did anyone forget to mention that the Apple logo is embossed?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by brad
...I haven't got time to read through all the posts, but in regards to the ad did anyone forget to mention that the Apple logo is embossed?

It is in the old movie as well it's just really hard to make out do to the quality of the movie in circulation.

If you look closely at the left edge of the Apple in the old movie you can see the bright edge of the embossing.

cderry

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2004
Bloomington, IL
Why does this matter? The date says either 84 or 04. Who cares!?!?

Plus, why were you guys looking at the iPod in the ad anyway? I was looking at something else when they showed her running in slow motion.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
From my perspective it looks like a 04. And yes I definitly believe that there is something new coming in January. I guess its faster PowerMacs and ... I don't know - either an anniversary cube (That would be great) or an G5 iMac OR because the girl now has an iPod - a new iPod rev. (would be logical to me)

Macfromwayback

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2004
After 20 years, 84 or 04, the full bodied, slow-mo, bounce still takes my breath away. :D

Apple's history of paridigm challenging products wrapped in a sexy package is so well illustrated by this ad that it should be updated and revised at every anniversary.

Philip

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by cderry
Why does this matter? The date says either 84 or 04. Who cares!?!?

Plus, why were you guys looking at the iPod in the ad anyway? I was looking at something else when they showed her running in slow motion.

I care. This is a Macintosh Rumors site. This thread is called '1984 Ad speculation.' We are using subtle changes in the ad, to try to predict a possible release for the anniversary. Since this ad was originally released as well as the 20th Anniversary Apple.. it makes sense. We're simply enjoying the speculation.

We were looking at the iPod cuz its new. Its digitally placed and its very well done. I'm quite sure that you're heterosexual (thanks for making that your point), but some of us think about other things as well. :)

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003

I'm quite sure that you're heterosexual (thanks for making that your point), but some of us think about other things as well. :)

I think she's ugly so i'm not really paying attention to her.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Not sure but...

I think the number is actually a '2'. When i first saw it, it looked like a 0, but then read some of the comments here and it started to look like an 8. Now that I went and downloaded the movie, I've come to realize it's a 2. :D

Anyway... what do you suppose she's listening too? Given the surroundings, perhaps hard core industrial? Or perhaps she's been inspired by back episodes of "Your Mac Life."

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Not sure but...

Originally posted by bensisko
Anyway... what do you suppose she's listening too? Given the surroundings, perhaps hard core industrial? Or perhaps she's been inspired by back episodes of "Your Mac Life."

Van Halen's album, "1984," of course.

And probably the song, "Girl Gone Bad," from that album.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.