Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonafide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I was on uTube tonight and watched a video titled "1997: The Microsoft Deal"... What gives?

Can someone explain the circumstances behind this. Does Microsoft still have a $150 Million Dollar investment in Apple? Whats the history, more importantly whats the recent history?

I'm not looking for a history book here just a brief.

Thanks..

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Well, as the video says, IE would be the default browser for the mac for at least five years (although MS stopped producing it after Safari and stopped supporting it and downloads of it about a month ago), Outlook Express came to the mac (but is gone after the release of Apple Mail), Office came to the mac (which is still being produced), and they made Windows Media Player for the mac (but not anymore.) As the the video said, they couldn't sell the shares for three years, but I don't know if they still have them or not.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Microsoft no longer owns any part of Apple, and the only Microsoft product for Mac that actually continues to be updated is Office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.