Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I noticed after 11 months use I had 19gb of system data in storage, which seemed more than it should be. I decided to reset to factory settings and now it’s below 4gb.

So I’m interested to know why it’s ending up as 19gb? As I only have 64gb phone so need to try and avoid it getting that high :oops:

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
My 128 GB 12 PM is currently using 2.95 GB for system data. It does include cache and logs and such currently being used. If you have a lot of background stuff going on that could be it.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Plug it into ITunes and hit Sync (make sure you are not syncing anything like music or notes or photos, etc)

It’ll dump the data logs.

If that doesn’t work, then what I used to do was:
1. do a iTunes backup encrypted (so you keep the Health and card data).
2. Erase and Reset your phone
3. Restore phone with the iTunes backup you just made.

THAT should clear the data right up, and other than downloading all the apps again from AppStore automatically (as per usual after phone reset), you’ll be right as rain in no time.

CAUTION: do NOT do this if you have an update waiting. FIRST UPDATE YOUR PHONE!!! Then do the backup to itunes.

If you backup your phone on (let’s say) 16.3 and then erase your device. When you try to restore the backup, it’ll download the latest 16.3.1. Then When you try to restore from the backup, it will say you can’t because it needs to be on 16.3.1 (but the backup is on 16.3… so your SOL). Happened to me once. Painful lesson.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I noticed after 11 months use I had 19gb of system data in storage, which seemed more than it should be. I decided to reset to factory settings and now it’s below 4gb.

There are hundreds of posts about system data - what is in it, how do I reduce its size, etc. Yes you can do things to reduce its size, but it is likely going to grow back. It isn't worth worrying about unless you have run out of space. In that case next time you upgrade its time to get more storage.

In my case I have 16 GB of System Data and as I have lots of free space I don't worry about it.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
There are hundreds of posts about system data - what is in it, how do I reduce its size, etc. Yes you can do things to reduce its size, but it is likely going to grow back. It isn't worth worrying about unless you have run out of space. In that case next time you upgrade its time to get more storage.

In my case I have 16 GB of System Data and as I have lots of free space I don't worry about it.

More storage means more expensive. Better to resolve the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.