Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
It used to be ok when I tried it last month but then I slowly started seeing ads on *some* sites. I reported those sites via the in app "report link feature" but nothing ever gets fixed. I then reached out to the developer via Twitter and his reply was he doesn't know what's going on with those sites.

I bought the Premium lifetime subscription for both iOS and my MBP, what a waste. I'll go back to WIPR because even AdBlock Plus seems to face the same issue and AdGuard needs to be launched at startup as a separate app in order for it to work..

Here are 2 examples of ads I am seeing now:

MajorGeeks.jpg

9to5mac.jpg

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Having a similar experience with yours. Using Bitorrent and it’s basically letting every single ad through. For the money you are paying, it seems worse than other free alternatives out there.

Reactions: Super Spartan

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I haven't seen this with 1Blocker so far. Maybe opening the app to be sure the rules update would help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Here are 2 examples of ads I am seeing now:
Wipr is blocking both of those for me.

I tried 1Blocker also and ditched it. The only reason I paid for it was because it was one of the only content blocker type blockers that had an element picker to add to the blacklist. So after installing the app, I click the element picker and get a "coming soon" message. :mad: So the guy is selling an app that advertises a feature that is not even there. There were a lot of complaints about this in the App Store reviews.

So a couple weeks or so later he does release an update with an element picker, but the implementation is horrible. It opens the 1Blocker app, then opens the web page in a window of the app where you are supposed to select the ad you want to block. Thing is the ads don't show up in this window, so you cannot select them to block.

So I deleted it and went back to Wipr.

I run a Pi-hole also, but alone it does not seem to catch everything.

Reactions: Super Spartan

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Wipr is blocking both of those for me.

I tried 1Blocker also and ditched it. The only reason I paid for it was because it was one of the only content blocker type blockers that had an element picker to add to the blacklist. So after installing the app, I click the element picker and get a "coming soon" message. :mad: So the guy is selling an app that advertises a feature that is not even there. There were a lot of complaints about this in the App Store reviews.

So a couple weeks or so later he does release an update with an element picker, but the implementation is horrible. It opens the 1Blocker app, then opens the web page in a window of the app where you are supposed to select the ad you want to block. Thing is the ads don't show up in this window, so you cannot select them to block.

So I deleted it and went back to Wipr.

I run a Pi-hole also, but alone it does not seem to catch everything.
That's just horrible man. The one thing that I did like about 1Blocker is it's iCloud syncing for the rules/whitelists you create but it ends there. It was ok at first but it is run by a single person who is incapable of handling this job and is very unprofessional from the response I got from him on Twitter. Let alone the fact that after buying the lifetime subscription for both iOS and macOS he then change his license module from a single payment to a yearly subscription.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.