Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ossa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
UK
Those tech guys in Japan couldn't wait

Check it out!

It seems they managed to squeeze out just that bit more from a PowerMac G4 (Quick Silver)/867

Very daring! Just wondering if anyones had any good or bad experiences using overclocked machines before?

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Very cool, but it SURE seems risky to me. I know someone who overclocks their PC's often, but he runs into all kinds of problems later down the road. Makes you wonder though....

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
cool to see...but no on my own...

as much as I enjoy seeing how some people have the balls to void their warranty...

I'll pass on it....

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
as far as the PC goes, as long as you know what you are doing overclocking is easy safe and fun. i'd be interested to see about it in Macs, but for some reason by techienerdness goes away with mac...and im happy just the way it is.

anyways i have a celeron overclocked from 566 to 876 and its stable and solid, because i know how to hack the registry of windows lol. anyways i didd this because when i built the computer i couldnt afford a p3 chip in any manner, and the celeron was an overclockers dream.

just my two cents.

at some point id probably be interested in trying to overclock my iBook tho. just for fun when its seen its last days.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I suppose....but...

the way I see it....I don't see Apple getting chips that are capable of being 1 Ghz or more but kept down to 800 Mhz for any particular purpose....other than them not being completely stable at higher speeds....

think about it....f this were the case, they would be losing money by selling performance limited systems....it's not like they would get any advantage from it...

I guess I'm more old fashioned in thinking "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it..."

but I do understand how some like to push limits just to see if they can do it....but I'll pass.... :cool:

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
its not that these chips arent stable at 1GHz or whatnot, its that they can't yield a high enough percentage of them that will test and pass at 1GHz. this is the main reason of the GHz problem. I've seen 566 celerons oc'd to 1.2GHz...thats ridiculous.

Basically everything is fabbed on the same set of equipment, and many times a lower clocked processor is just one that was only tested at that speed and never at higher ones.

Omen88

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2002
Flanders (Belgium)
I know this is the wrong place to brag about it but anyways I overclocked my old Pentium 166MMX to 266mhz without a problem, hell it even worked without a cooler! It smelled a bit though, I forgot to plug the powercord of my cooler in. I'm still amazed that it hasn't died yet.

U

Unregistered

Be extremely carfull when doing this. It's a hack that's not for unexperienced people!!! I blew up my Mac once while attempting to OC and needed to buy a new CPU card for a ******** of doe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.