Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Get a Yubikey
I think Yubikey and its ilk certainly increase the security over typical 2FA but there are downsides but this isn't really the ideal place to discuss this, simply because this thread isn't about the Pros and Cons of 2FA or Yubikeys but rather returning to 1Password after switching to the competition.

I listed pros and cons of 1PW and BW and I really like BW but I feel 1PW offers a bit more. I also highlighted that when I log int BW I'm being told that I have to switch to 2FA. I mentioned that before, I don't like being forced to do that and generally as I stated I would prefer a more seamless less intrusive solution, a la 1Password

To me, security is a balancing act of convenience and complexity and imo 1PW's implementation is elegant imo

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
I use 1Password version 7.9.11 (70911000) on my M2 Max MacBook Pro which is currently running Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513).

The app seems to run OK — apart from a few cosmetic glitches — but I'll probably want to update to macOS to Sonoma soon.

I don't see the point of 'upgrading' to 1Password 8's Electron, server-side data, subscription app while version 7 still works ... but I'm wondering how long it will carry on working.

I make regular careful backup of its items to encrypted disk images, so I'm unlikely to lose my data (I hope).

I see it's a universal app, but I'm wondering if I can go on using it indefinitely, or if there's anything about it that might cause it to be non-functional anytime soon.

Does anyone have any idea how long this version of 1Password is likely to go on being usable?

(Hope this is the appropriate thread btw)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I use 1Password version 7.9.11 (70911000) on my M2 Max MacBook Pro which is currently running Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513).

The app seems to run OK — apart from a few cosmetic glitches — but I'll probably want to update to macOS to Sonoma soon.

I don't see the point of 'upgrading' to 1Password 8's Electron, server-side data, subscription app while version 7 still works ... but I'm wondering how long it will carry on working.

I make regular careful backup of its items to encrypted disk images, so I'm unlikely to lose my data (I hope).

I see it's a universal app, but I'm wondering if I can go on using it indefinitely, or if there's anything about it that might cause it to be non-functional anytime soon.

Does anyone have any idea how long this version of 1Password is likely to go on being usable?

(Hope this is the appropriate thread btw)

It will go on being usable proverbially ad infinitum.

If you are using the standalone version, 1Password 7 is a universal binary, so you won't have to worry about Rosetta 2 being needed for it to run, so that puts you in the sweet spot of being able to upgrade your Mac, not having to worry about loss of Intel support, nor worrying about being forced to use a subscription. That's the sweet spot, while everyone else with one or more of those issues is forced into their subscription model, or migrated away from 1Password altogether.

BL.

Reactions: jennyp

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

If you are using the standalone version, 1Password 7 is a universal binary, so you won't have to worry about Rosetta 2 being needed for it to run, so that puts you in the sweet spot of being able to upgrade your Mac, not having to worry about loss of Intel support, nor worrying about being forced to use a subscription. That's the sweet spot, while everyone else with one or more of those issues is forced into their subscription model, or migrated away from 1Password altogether.

BL.

One thing to consider... If 1Password stops updating version 7 with security patches, it would be best not to use a browser extension; just copy and paste from the application into the browser.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
One thing to consider... If 1Password stops updating version 7 with security patches, it would be best not to use a browser extension; just copy and paste from the application into the browser.
Yes, I had this trauma with 1P6 on a patched system. After 1P mini stopped working, there was also a verification disconnect to the App itself and zero access (the trauma bit). Eventually moved to 1P7, thinking it was still the stand alone version, it wasn't. That's when I went with an alternate PW manager but ended up remigrating entirely to the 1P subscription at the discounted price for 3 yrs. For functionality, UI and Watchtower, it really does things very well.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007

BL.
Thanks for that reassuring advice :)

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Thanks - I'll remember that :)

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
None of this effects me as I have never used 1Password. But, I can’t help wonder how someone would know when 1Password stops updating version 7 with security patches. Do you expect 1Password to tell you they dropped support, or will you just eventually notice the updates have ceased?

Furthermore, as I am sure svenmany is aware, coping and pasting from the application into the browser is not only inconvenient, it isn’t a particularly secure way to operate either.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
None of this effects me as I have never used 1Password. But, I can’t help wonder how someone would know when 1Password stops updating version 7 with security patches. Do you expect 1Password to tell you they dropped support, or will you just eventually notice the updates have ceased?

Furthermore, as I am sure svenmany is aware, coping and pasting from the application into the browser is not only inconvenient, it isn’t a particularly secure way to operate either.

Good point on the version 7 updates. I wouldn't use the browser extension today without checking with 1Password support. They are very good at responding on their forums.

I'm not aware of problems with copying and pasting. In 1Password the copy doesn't visually expose the password. Also the clipboard is cleared after a bit. Is it that short period of time when the password is in the clipboard that is the risk?

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Is it that short period of time when the password is in the clipboard that is the risk?
Yes, and I was aware that 1Password and other password programs clear the clipboard after a short time. Of course, it would be better if the information weren't there to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.