Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
To use 1P I must enter my 1P "master password" most times I want to use 1P. After my computer runs continuously all afternoon, working at home, if I choose the 1P icon in my menubar and enter my 1P password, I get the 1P RED LOCK and the password blank shakes. It's the same 1P Master password I use everyday and have for the past year. So why do I have to restart the computer for 1P to accept my password and open? If I restart my 17,1 iMac, then type the same 1P Master password, 1P opens up. It's the same dang password, why do I have to restart my computer for my 1Password master password to open and use after several hours of computer use?

I have asked 1P. They respond that the password is only a mathematical function and never changes

Then what could be causing the 1P Lock to turn red (refusing my master password) after using my computer all day, necessitating a computer restart?

17,1 iMac, Mojave 10.14.6, 24GB RAM, 2TB SSD. 1Paswword 7.3.2 for Mac.

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
It is possible that this is the result of an input issue. When this isn't working, if you type the same password into the Notes app does it appear as expected? After restarting, type the same password on the line below it, and closely inspect the two. Are they identical?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
B, i have not run into this since i experienced it last in my post here and at 1P. I am beginning to think that the issue is that i turn on CAPS on the keyboard somehow and dont realize it. Since i cant see what i am typing in the password blank, i never realize the slip up. So typing and retyping had no effect. Thank you, and thank, Lars for being so patient w my issue.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It is possible that this is the result of an input issue. When this isn't working, if you type the same password into the Notes app does it appear as expected? After restarting, type the same password on the line below it, and closely inspect the two. Are they identical?

I know we've discussed this before but this is the exact scenario I was describing where 1Password's design makes it hard on the end user. If you've got a long, complex master password then that raises the changes of a typo. You have no way of knowing that because you can't display what you've typed like other password managers like Keepass let you do. If there's ever a major redesign of 1Password in the future I think that this would be a worthwhile change to make.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
If I ever have an issue I look at my keyboard, there is usually a caps lock indicator, make sure it is off, and try a 2nd time.

Mark Tomory

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
@blackxacto, I'm a bit late to this thread, but I reply for the sake of others who come looking for a solution.

I was having the same issue as you. I found an easy workaround: I open the 1Password application and enter my master password there. Once unlocked, I can switch back to my browser (Chrome in my case; I don't know whether it makes a difference) and the 1Password extension is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.