Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I have been using lastpass for several years (free!) but recently having bought a MacBook Air, I find the lastpass app lacking. So I tried 1password, migrated my passwords and I kinda like it. But it costs, about 40 euro compared to Lastpass. I use both windows pc's, iPad, iPhone, Macbook etc so I need a cross-platform utility (so keychain isn't enough for me).

So now I have a choice to make? Stay with lastpass and use a subpar (web based) tool, or move to 1password and pay up. Opinions? Anyone else who switched to a paid service?

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
care to explain why? is lastpass still good/better? I really dislike the ui on my MacBook, but of course it's free

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
I have been using lastpass for several years (free!) but recently having bought a MacBook Air, I find the lastpass app lacking. So I tried 1password, migrated my passwords and I kinda like it. But it costs, about 40 euro compared to Lastpass. I use both windows pc's, iPad, iPhone, Macbook etc so I need a cross-platform utility (so keychain isn't enough for me).

So now I have a choice to make? Stay with lastpass and use a subpar (web based) tool, or move to 1password and pay up. Opinions? Anyone else who switched to a paid service?
I find LP clunky. Been a non-subscribing user of 1P for years. You can still get 1P with a 1-time purchase. You just need to email Support.

PilotWoo

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
I use 1Password but without the subscription. When they force me to pay the sub I will switch to LastPass. I don't find I use most of the 1Password features. I guess it depends whether the 1Password UI is worth your money.

Reactions: cdcastillo

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you want an excellent password manager without the subscription fee, I highly recommend Strongbox. It is much better than LP, it rivals 1Password in features and UI, and the free option is probably more than enough for most people. If you want to be able to unlock with your watch and a few other features, they offer a one time payment, which is what I did and I have't regretted the move from 1Password, which ends in January.

Strongbox has a better privacy policy than 1Password and better security.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikzn and PilotWoo

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I use 1Password but without the subscription. When they force me to pay the sub I will switch to LastPass. I don't find I use most of the 1Password features. I guess it depends whether the 1Password UI is worth your money.
here as well; am not interested in the subscription model, but otherwise; 1password works great, integrates well with safari... great app.

mdbradigan

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
Nashville, TN area
If you have an AW and the latest version of 1PW, then you can use your AW to log in - total game changer. Highly recommend 1password for this; also came from Lastpass - both are good, I think the interface for 1pw is slightly cleaner/easier to use. Can't go wrong with either, imo.

Reactions: icanhazmac

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Also take a look at Bitwarden, which is another excellent manager with no subscription. It is free unless you want the added features and then it is $100. a month. I use it as well for backup to Strongbox.
$100 a month? Don't be ridiculous. Bitwarden is $10 A YEAR.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Thx for the suggestions, so far 1password seems to be the most feature complete/best ui. Tried Bitwarden and while it works, it seems to lack the field-popup like 1password where you click on a field and you get a dropdown/popup where to select user/password. With Bitwarden, I always need to click open the extension in safari. Might be minor, but still a difference. Also, there seems to touch-unlock for the extension in Safari. 1password seems to "sync" better, when I'm logged into the 1password app, I'm automatically logged into the extension too. For Bitwarden this seems not be combined.

edit: another Bitwarden issue, extension does not offer me to save user/passwords for unknown sites, nor does it ask me to update already stored info... Kinda disappointed :(

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Thx for the suggestions, so far 1password seems to be the most feature complete/best ui. Tried Bitwarden and while it works, it seems to lack the field-popup like 1password where you click on a field and you get a dropdown/popup where to select user/password. With Bitwarden, I always need to click open the extension in safari. Might be minor, but still a difference. Also, there seems to touch-unlock for the extension in Safari. 1password seems to "sync" better, when I'm logged into the 1password app, I'm automatically logged into the extension too. For Bitwarden this seems not be combined.

edit: another Bitwarden issue, extension does not offer me to save user/passwords for unknown sites, nor does it ask me to update already stored info... Kinda disappointed :(
I haven't used the extension yet for Bitwarden. The unknown sites aspect has been an issue for me. With Strongbox, I haven't had any of those type of problems. I mainly use BW as emergency backup. Strongbox is my main manager now, although I still have 1Password loaded and available. I emailed 1password asking to purchase a license instead of continue with the subscription and haven't gotten a reply.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Well, 1password works but every time I login to a website, it keeps prompting me to update the login data (even when it's unchanged). What a mess :(

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Well, 1password works but every time I login to a website, it keeps prompting me to update the login data (even when it's unchanged). What a mess :(
Check the entry description and URL information in 1Password etc. If anything is off when going to a site, 1Password will think something has changed and prompt to uipdate information. That happened to me a few times and I had to go back in and edit a previously stored entry.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Nope, looks just fine. I imported all my passwords from lastpass to 1password and these work fine. But when I change/delete an imported password and then let 1password detect the user/password, I always get the prompt to update the info. Even on this site (just tried).

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Nope, looks just fine. I imported all my passwords from lastpass to 1password and these work fine. But when I change/delete an imported password and then let 1password detect the user/password, I always get the prompt to update the info. Even on this site (just tried).

I love 1Password but the detect feature doesn't work for me all the time. Most of the time I just enter the info manually. It doesn't always prompt me to update the info unless I have duplicate entries for a site.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
It's pretty annoying to always click on "not now" when logging into a site. Guess it's back to lastpass then? :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.