Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jakebeam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
Yesterday had my 1st experience of the notice that my system has run out of application memory.

Was using MacBook Air 15" 2023 edition base model with 8gb memory 500 gb hard drive . OS Ventura. Only had a VPN working and watching a live stream as well as playing the game township.

After opening activity monitor showed memory being used was around 6gb.. application memory over 2 gb..Township seems to be a rescource hog..2.4 gb

No other apps were open.

Maybe that's could be an argument for going with minimum 16 gb memory???

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Yesterday had my 1st experience of the notice that my system has run out of application memory.

Was using MacBook Air 15" 2023 edition base model with 8gb memory 500 gb hard drive . OS Ventura. Only had a VPN working and watching a live stream as well as playing the game township.

After opening activity monitor showed memory being used was around 6gb.. application memory over 2 gb..Township seems to be a rescource hog..2.4 gb

No other apps were open.

Maybe that's could be an argument for going with minimum 16 gb memory???
Memory compression is a better indicator of ram limit as opposed to the reported memory usage as memory management can and will fluctuate based on what’s open.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
No other apps were open.

That's pretty odd and I wouldn't expect that to be typical. What streaming app were you using?

I had to rely on a 8GB M1 loaner and I severely overloaded it with everything in my normal workflow. Aside from some occasional stutters and the screen swapping not being as smooth, it just kept going.

Reactions: GMShadow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.