Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
So this TC is functioning fine as a router but I tried to back up to it the other day and it seemed to be okay but I wasn’t subsequently able to access the backup. I figured I would try to reformat the HDD and tried to this morning but I input the password and nothing happened. I then pressed the ’reset’ button and I got the ‘Edit‘ option but it doesn’t respond by actually doing something: the light doesn’t change colour and it doesn’t go offline to update.

I‘m guessing the HDD is dead. Am I right?

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
So this TC is functioning fine as a router but I tried to back up to it the other day and it seemed to be okay but I wasn’t subsequently able to access the backup. I figured I would try to reformat the HDD and tried to this morning but I input the password and nothing happened. I then pressed the ’reset’ button and I got the ‘Edit‘ option but it doesn’t respond by actually doing something: the light doesn’t change colour and it doesn’t go offline to update.

I‘m guessing the HDD is dead. Am I right?
Actually, it has now officially died and is no longer broadcasting wifi either. The iMac connected to it via ethernet is still getting its internet access through it, though. This is an original 2008 TC and saw daily use for all but 11 months of that time. Not bad. RIP☮️

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Ah, I thought there was something in addition to that. If you read previous posts, everything died, the HD just predeceased the wifi by a few days ⚰️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.