Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

accordingi2ime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
I just purchased a airport express to upgrade my wireless network at home. I was using my 1st generation airport express till today.
I still want to use the airport express for airplay and maybe connect my printer for wireless printing.

My question is what is best way to achieve this? Join or extend?
Is there any disadvantage in using the older express with my new extreme? Will I lose any performance by using the older 1st gen express with the newer extreme?

I will appreciate any information on the topic.

Thank you.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
You won't lose performance if you connect in Client Mode, which is what you need anyway.

The instructions are different according to the model and utility, so check out the Client Mode how-to on Apple's site. There is no such term in the utility, so you don't just choose that from a menu. You will either be adding to or joining the existing network once you reset it to default.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My question is what is best way to achieve this? Join or extend?
Is there any disadvantage in using the older express with my new extreme? Will I lose any performance by using the older 1st gen express with the newer extreme?

For using the Express as an AirPlay destination and printer server then "join a network" mode is the way to go. When used in "join" (client) mode the Express will not limit your network at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.