Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Recently I picked up a 1st generation iPod Nano in decent condition with some accessories and the box. I charged it up and it's fine. It sounds pretty good too and is a nifty, portable device. I like it a lot, but I have a question of concern.

I know there's a recall program for that certain model and some of them have been known to 'explode' in the past but should I worry about it? It's already been 13 years and it hasn't seemed to explode so far. I use an iPod Classic charging dock to charge it and a lower voltage regular power supply to charge it with and haven't left it overnight or anything.

Will I be okay? It would be a shame to see it go on me if there's a major risk and I don't wanna get it replaced for a 7th gen (I also heard they still honor requests).

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Recently I picked up a 1st generation iPod Nano in decent condition with some accessories and the box. I charged it up and it's fine. It sounds pretty good too and is a nifty, portable device. I like it a lot, but I have a question of concern.

I know there's a recall program for that certain model and some of them have been known to 'explode' in the past but should I worry about it? It's already been 13 years and it hasn't seemed to explode so far. I use an iPod Classic charging dock to charge it and a lower voltage regular power supply to charge it with and haven't left it overnight or anything.

Will I be okay? It would be a shame to see it go on me if there's a major risk and I don't wanna get it replaced for a 7th gen (I also heard they still honor requests).
Apple doesn't make Nanos anymore, they cut off that program around the time they discontinued them. Even if you escalate the case I don't think they would have any Nanos to send you. I haven't seen a whole lot of cases of explosion. If you know how to replace the batteries in iPods that would probably fix it. 2 gen batteries should be compatible. They sold millions of these things, and only a few have exploded. It's the risk you take with batteries. It's up to you whether you think it's worth the risk. (Legal blah blah I am not responsible for anything that happens related to explosions)

Reactions: VirtuallyInsane

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Apple doesn't make Nanos anymore, they cut off that program around the time they discontinued them. Even if you escalate the case I don't think they would have any Nanos to send you. I haven't seen a whole lot of cases of explosion. If you know how to replace the batteries in iPods that would probably fix it. 2 gen batteries should be compatible. They sold millions of these things, and only a few have exploded. It's the risk you take with batteries. It's up to you whether you think it's worth the risk. (Legal blah blah I am not responsible for anything that happens related to explosions)

Yeah, after some further research, it does seem like they have ended it but I thought that they still honored the returns. I read something like that. Maybe the article itself was older than two years. My bad.

Yeah, I watched a video on how to replace a 1st gen battery. It's doable but a bit time consuming. And it requires some soldering. Need the right equipment for it. I guess as long as I don't actually let the battery overheat, then everything will be alright. I've been watching it and checking it. Researching this explosion phenonmenon.

It's still a great product (and even more so at the time of its release) but a pity that it posed a safety risk. Oh well. What can ya do? :)

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Yeah, after some further research, it does seem like they have ended it but I thought that they still honored the returns. I read something like that. Maybe the article itself was older than two years. My bad.

Yeah, I watched a video on how to replace a 1st gen battery. It's doable but a bit time consuming. And it requires some soldering. Need the right equipment for it. I guess as long as I don't actually let the battery overheat, then everything will be alright. I've been watching it and checking it. Researching this explosion phenonmenon.

It's still a great product (and even more so at the time of its release) but a pity that it posed a safety risk. Oh well. What can ya do? :)
Similar situation to the Galaxy Note 7 if you remember that. I don't own a first gen nano, but I love the design of it. I am slowly becoming an iPod collector and would like to someday own one of each model, so someday I might. If it hasn't been too hot to touch, the battery temps should be good.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Similar situation to the Galaxy Note 7 if you remember that. I don't own a first gen nano, but I love the design of it. I am slowly becoming an iPod collector and would like to someday own one of each model, so someday I might. If it hasn't been too hot to touch, the battery temps should be good.

Yeah, I remember that too. Yeah, I'm sorta collecting the iPods too. So far, it feels okay. Similar to my 3rd gen model. Nothing spectacularly wrong with it. The click wheel's a little loose in places but I think that has more to do with the overall age of the device rather than an inherent issue. I also have a 6th gen iPod Classic with a bit of a loose, unresponsive clickwheel from 2008.

I guess it'll be okay for some light use, as long as its not being overpowered and overrun. By using an overpowered battery brick/source. And I would even so as far to say as maybe that's probably one of the reasons as to why they batteries exploded. People playing music loud, heavy file processing, clickwheel on and the backlight being on most of the time. It's a very small unit that doesn't need that much power to run.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
If it's any consolation: I had a first gen nano from around 2005 until they started the recall, in 2011, and I used it all the time. I actually only sent it in because the hold button kept sticking, and I got a 6th gen nano back (which I love!). I have since gotten another first gen nano, and it's ok, so I doubt you'll have any issues with the battery exploding. Just do the normal care like not exposing it to direct heat or extreme cold, and you'll probably be fine.

That said, I like the first gen nano! It was a really beautiful device. My current one is a little yellowed (probably from the previous owner's smoking...), and the click wheel is a little sticky as you mentioned, but it works just fine!

Post some photos of it if you can!

Last edited:

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I had 1 1G too. Used it from 2006 through 2008-9ish. In 2012 I found it in a drawer and replaced it in the recall program. Never had an issue with it.

I wouldn’t use one regularly now, though. You’d be playing Russian Roulette (with better odds of course) with what is essentially a battery that’s at least 13 years old, may or may not have been a hazard back in 2005 and surely those years have not done it any favors.

I’d keep it in a stand, or start a collection.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
If it's any consolation: I had a first gen nano from around 2005 until they started the recall, in 2010, and I used it all the time. I actually only sent it in because the hold button kept sticking, and I got a 6th gen nano back (which I love!). I have since gotten another first gen nano, and it's ok, so I doubt you'll have any issues with the battery exploding. Just do the normal care like not exposing it to direct heat or extreme cold, and you'll probably be fine.

That said, I like the first gen nano! It was a really beautiful device. My current one is a little yellowed (probably from the previous owner's smoking...), and the click wheel is a little sticky as you mentioned, but it works just fine!

Post some photos of it if you can!

Yeah. I am gonna look after it as best as I can. I am gonna take it out to charge it and keep it stored at room temperature. Gonna make sure that it doesn’t overheat. Or be too cool.

I used to like the concept of a 6th generation Nano as a novelty watch. Then I got an actual one. I need to use it more, lol.

And here are the pics. Some of them look a bit bad but here we go:

5c73a91586e206ab15cebc25ba218ed4.jpg

7bb377eadd371ea5d7acb7415bf778c0.jpg

690b568025797159a8c69beb2e9f59da.jpg

8e2c6f441c5319edaf5999749ef40566.jpg

6f01d93db7e4b917d2d489e365150dd5.jpg

It came boxed with most of the accessories (except the original earphones and the iTunes installation disk but who really needs those now? Yeah, it’s nice to complete a set but ...)

I had 1 1G too. Used it from 2006 through 2008-9ish. In 2012 I found it in a drawer and replaced it in the recall program. Never had an issue with it.

I wouldn’t use one regularly now, though. You’d be playing Russian Roulette (with better odds of course) with what is essentially a battery that’s at least 13 years old, may or may not have been a hazard back in 2005 and surely those years have not done it any favors.

I’d keep it in a stand, or start a collection.

Yeah, I have already started a collection. It’s some classic iPods, two Nanos and a Mini at the moment. Am expecting some new pieces soon, though.

I wouldn’t use it regularly either. I usually use my 5.5 gen classic/8gb 3rd gen Nano to listen to music on, depending on how big my pockets are.

The sound quality on the 1st gen is great, though. Better than the 3rd gen, imo. But not as good as the Mini (it needs a new battery. Will replace it someday).

If it lasted this long, it most likely isn't one of the recalled models. Usually, a defective battery would've already went within the first week or month.

I suppose. It could have been a refurb, too but I don’t think it was either. Seems all original. As long as I take care of it.

Reactions: Slix

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I happen to have a 1st gen nano and I can confirm the sound is great.

I have started to dig out some of my old iPods and boy, the first nano is just so !

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I sort of remember how in the forums people would rave about the iPod Shuffle 1G’s audio quality.

Yeah. To me, the first gen shuffles only sound good through the new earpods. I know that sounds bizarre but I done a test with my regular headphones and the earpods. Such a difference. But they sound crap on my other iPods for some reason.

It used a SigmaTel DAC. No other iPods, nano, classic or touch ever used a SigmaTel, only Wolfson and Cirrus. Some people prefer SigmaTel DACs.

I never knew that. The more you know...

I happen to have a 1st gen nano and I can confirm the sound is great.

I have started to dig out some of my old iPods and boy, the first nano is just so !

Yes. I was surprised at how amazing it sounded compared to some other iPods. Even some of the classics. It sounds close to the 5.5th gen, I guess? But better... in some ways.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I still have both a black and a white 1st gen iPod nano. I just reloaded content onto them yesterday, one has classical playlists on it and the other just a bunch of rock / pop / alt music. I don't even playlist the stuff on the pop/rock nano, although I do set up a "list" on the laptop to serve as a container for the tracks I next mean to drag over to that particular nano. In use I just put that pop/rock one on shuffle and let it rip for a while.

1st gen nanos still working 2019.jpg

My iPods including those oldest nanos all still take their turn in a speakerdock in the kitchen, and I have quite a few 30-pin iPod models, including a couple older iPod touch. None of them gets hard wear or a battery taken down to zero either. Barring some sort of hardware failure aside from a White Screen of Death (which one can work around by trial and error and still use to play through or shuffle, and to skip forward or backward, if not select exactly what to play next lol), they just work until one day they don't. I regard it as a bonus that I can still actually refresh the content even though Apple officially quit supporting the iPod line in 2017 and these 1st gen models were marked obsolete way before then.

I haven't had any issues with the batts on either of these 1st gen nanos, and I don't worry about them because I bought both as Apple refurbs well after the recall on the batts.

Still I don't leave any of my old gear charging overnight or while I'm away from my place. Just seems prudent. As one of my bros remarked while trying to get some sheetrock screws into ancient beech studs in my stairwell one day, "these things are weird, they might as well be iron to work with, but you set fire to 'em and they'll light up the village." Right. So I do try to keep the tinderbox ignition potential down to a dull roar around here.

As far as sound on the little audio players go, for my money you can't beat the Wolfsons SigmaTel DACs in the 1st gen shuffles, the ones that just looked like white USB sticks. But the 1st gen nanos do sound pretty nice with certain, mostly newer earbuds. I've been playing the white one with the earbuds that came with the tie-clip shuffle, I guess that was 3rd gen shuffle... I can't find that shuffle right now and it's a little dumb to wear out its earbuds on something that doesn't actually depend on that in-cable clicker to navigate its menu. I suppose I'm acknowledging I may have lost that shuffle forever anyway.

EDITED to correct audio ref in the 1st gen shuffle, thanks to @retta283.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I still have both a black and a white 1st gen iPod nano. I just reloaded content onto them yesterday, one has classical playlists on it and the other just a bunch of rock / pop / alt music. I don't even playlist the stuff on the pop/rock nano, although I do set up a "list" on the laptop to serve as a container for the tracks I next mean to drag over to that particular nano. In use I just put that pop/rock one on shuffle and let it rip for a while.

My iPods including those oldest nanos all still take their turn in a speakerdock in the kitchen, and I have quite a few 30-pin iPod models, including a couple older iPod touch. None of them gets hard wear or a battery taken down to zero either. Barring some sort of hardware failure aside from a White Screen of Death (which one can work around by trial and error and still use to play through or shuffle, and to skip forward or backward, if not select exactly what to play next lol), they just work until one day they don't. I regard it as a bonus that I can still actually refresh the content even though Apple officially quit supporting the iPod line in 2017 and these 1st gen models were marked obsolete way before then.

I haven't had any issues with the batts on either of these 1st gen nanos, and I don't worry about them because I bought both as Apple refurbs well after the recall on the batts.

Still I don't leave any of my old gear charging overnight or while I'm away from my place. Just seems prudent. As one of my bros remarked while trying to get some sheetrock screws into ancient beech studs in my stairwell one day, "these things are weird, they might as well be iron to work with, but you set fire to 'em and they'll light up the village." Right. So I do try to keep the tinderbox ignition potential down to a dull roar around here.

As far as sound on the little audio players go, for my money you can't beat the Wollfsons in the 1st gen shuffles, the ones that just looked like white USB sticks. But the 1st gen nanos do sound pretty nice with certain, mostly newer earbuds. I've been playing the white one with the earbuds that came with the tie-clip shuffle, I guess that was 3rd gen shuffle... I can't find that shuffle right now and it's a little dumb to wear out its earbuds on something that doesn't actually depend on that in-cable clicker to navigate its menu. I suppose I'm acknowledging I may have lost that shuffle forever anyway.

The first gen Shuffle uses a SigmaTel DAC, not Wolfson.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018

As far as sound on the little audio players go, for my money you can't beat the Wolfsons SigmaTel DACs in the 1st gen shuffles, the ones that just looked like white USB sticks. But the 1st gen nanos do sound pretty nice with certain, mostly newer earbuds. I've been playing the white one with the earbuds that came with the tie-clip shuffle, I guess that was 3rd gen shuffle... I can't find that shuffle right now and it's a little dumb to wear out its earbuds on something that doesn't actually depend on that in-cable clicker to navigate its menu. I suppose I'm acknowledging I may have lost that shuffle forever anyway.

EDITED to correct audio ref in the 1st gen shuffle, thanks to @retta283.

Yeah, I wouldn’t usually leave my gear charging overnight anyway. Unless it’s a nearly dead tablet I charge before going to bed.

But yeah, the iPod Nano 1st gen is great. I am also getting a 2nd gen (already have the 3rd gen but I heard the audio quality goes down from 4th gen onwards). I use some Sony headphones with mine but to be honest, the earpods aren’t too bad either. I know it looks dumb using headphones with a small device but I’m not a big fan of earphones, unless they’re designed like earpods. Having said that, the Bob Marley earphones (remember those?) used to be really good before they broke on me.

I also have a shuffle collection and it sounds really good, but I think the 4th gen also sounds very clear and maybe has the edge in clarity. But the 1st gen sounds richer.

Yeah. I was thinking about getting a 30 pin speaker dock for my bedroom but I already have one with the lightning adaptor which has an output where you can connect a jack lead through to it so I just use a charging dock, firewire lead (I also have a 3rd gen iPod Classic with a busted battery so thats why I use firewire, to keep it charging) and the jack lead in the back of the speaker dock. It sounds really good with the iPods I own.

Reactions: LizKat

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I had a Nano 1 which Apple replaced with a Nano 7 a long time ago. My wife grabbed the Nano 7. The Nano 1 was fine but it didn't hold very much.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I had a Nano 1 which Apple replaced with a Nano 7 a long time ago. My wife grabbed the Nano 7. The Nano 1 was fine but it didn't hold very much.

Yeah but the sound quality on that and the Nano 2nd gen are amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.