Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Well. It was true, but it appears that they changed things already. The account page for .Mac has been changed, and today a maximum bandwidth cap is no longer displayed.

At the same time, http://www.apple.com/dotmac/features.html has been revised to show that the data transfer limit advertised as 10 GB per month (it used to be 3).

It may be that someone at Apple simply mistyped a decimal point or pulled down the wrong thingy from a menu or something :(

Attached is the current display without bandwidth allocation listed.

Attachments

• dotmac-2005-02-jan.gif
    dotmac-2005-02-jan.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 181

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
********?

1TB is a silly amount for on-demand video. This would equal 250 DVD images or 1000 full-length feature films per month. Not even the heavies video addicts would pull that much traffic.

Therefore I call this bogus.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I don't need that much. Increase the speed of the iDisk, or create a separate client so I can upload my stuff without it taking three years and freezing up my Finder.

I love you .Mac, but fix that one thing and you'll be the best.

Fishes,
narco.

Norse Son

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
Under Uncle Sam's Thumb
Maybe a typo... maybe a "pre-leak"... Maybe a few .Mac accounts 'til MWSF

I don't know if this is fortells anything major or not, but I came across the same story over on MacDaily News, and they linked to a December 2nd story on Think Secret, where they "speculate" (for what that's worth) that Apple has both an UBER-mini and a .Mac-crowd on-demand service ready for MWSF. (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0511contentdist.html)

Now, because of the cost of Yonah, and even the initial Viiv platform (http://digitimes.com/systems/a20060102A6031.html), which is projected at $15-1800 for a system, I seriously doubt we'll see a Viiv-mini at MWSF.

Still, the .Mac story at Think Secret "could" make some sense of it all...

If... "IF"... it does, I hope Apple doesn't stop there. I really think they should have a .Mac Premium level ($150 a year) that allows you to preview & buy/download content from any of the International versions of the iTMS - Apple would handle the currency exchange as a "courtesy" to their .Mac Premium members.

By the way; I just checked my .Mac account and it didn't even list bandwidth/Transfer, only the Mail & iDisk allocations... Is it because I don't have a "home page" set up?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
narco said:
I don't need that much. Increase the speed of the iDisk, or create a separate client so I can upload my stuff without it taking three years and freezing up my Finder.

Fishes,
narco.
Amen to that!

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Norse Son said:
If... "IF"... it does, I hope Apple doesn't stop there. I really think they should have a .Mac Premium level ($150 a year) that allows you to preview & buy/download content from any of the International versions of the iTMS - Apple would handle the currency exchange as a "courtesy" to their .Mac Premium members.
Licenses would prevent them from doing that. :(

elmerfudd

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
Malta
.mac speed

narco said:

Fishes,
narco.

if you don't mind purchasing shareware, you can always use Transmit from Panic Software. It's mainly an ftp tool but works very well with Apple's network stuff including Bonjour and iDisk...it's certainly faster than Mac OS X 10.3 when dealing with .Mac

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
How can anyone vote negative for this? Its positive in every single way, granted that it is real of course, but hey, its a rumorsite.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
This would be nice if it was true but, I don't think I could ever use up that much bandwidth...but, hey I don't care. Just gives me more bragging rights, hahaha.

I did check my account settings but, I didn't see anything about bandwidth like there was before. Maybe this is just another tease before Macworld...haha :D

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
elmerfudd said:
if you don't mind purchasing shareware, you can always use Transmit from Panic Software. It's mainly an ftp tool but works very well with Apple's network stuff including Bonjour and iDisk...it's certainly faster than Mac OS X 10.3 when dealing with .Mac

Actually, Transmit is the only Shareware I have ever purchase. I usually do access my iDisk through Transmit, but I would prefer something that was integrated with the Finder. That's just how I roll.

Fishes,
narco.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
narco said:

Fishes,
narco.
'ok. thank god. im not the only one. Lord putting a 10MB video into my .Mac account can sometime take forever. come the hell on. Most of these services should be free anyways :rolleyes:

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
eSnow said:
1TB is a silly amount for on-demand video. This would equal 250 DVD images or 1000 full-length feature films per month. Not even the heavies video addicts would pull that much traffic.

Therefore I call this bogus.

Well, having more than neccesary is what they would want. I mean I would be mighty pissed if my service died only because they went stingy on the bandwidth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.