Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maarked

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Over the past month+ multiple iPhones running 11.2+ have had an myriad of issues with my 2.4Ghz network at home, and on my Verizon hot spot. The issues go away when I switch to 5Ghz on either environment. I have an iPhone 5S, 6S and 7 that all have the same issues.

Often times the phones will refuse to auto-connect to my 2.4Ghz network. Sometimes I can turn wifi off/on and it will connect.

Since 11.3, my iPhone 7 and 5S wont connect to the 2.4Ghz network. I reset network settings on both devices and attempt to re-connect but they just try to auto-connect over and over. What is strange I can enter a bad password and it will sit and attempt to auto connect over and over forever even though it was the wrong password. If I say forget network, it wont let me enter a new password the next time I attempt to connect until I do a network reset. I feel like this has got worse over the past month, and was probably introduced sometime in 11.2.x, but its still an issue in 11.3. If not more prevalent now that Im using 11.3 on all these devices.

I have other devices (wireless cameras/water heater) that us 2.4Ghz in my home, and they operate just fine. Plus this same issue happens on my home router and my Verizon hot spot. So its an issue with iOS.

Sorry if something similar was already posted.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
This issue may stem from your router configuration. What router? What wireless mode are enabled? Do you have any form of beamforming enabled?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have the "opposite" problem. I can connect at 2.4 but the 5 is unreliable. I used to only use the 5 but now have forgotten that network due to disconnects.

Maarked

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Not an router issue, trust me (Systems Engineer). This issue showed up on both my Synology router, and Verizon hot spot at the same time. Tried ever adjustment of 2.4Ghz settings, channels, bandwidth, etc. All acts the same. Before 11.2.x these phones had zero issues. Beamforming isn't an option on my hotspot, its not used on the 2.4Ghz network because its exclusive to 5GHZ (AC).

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Similarly had connectivity issues since 11.2.x with multiple devices in my household. Given what people reported and the resolution in 11.3, I think it’s clear 11.2.x was faulty in this regard.

Maarked

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Similarly had connectivity issues since 11.2.x with multiple devices in my household. Given what people reported and the resolution in 11.3, I think it’s clear 11.2.x was faulty in this regard.

If it wasn’t clear in my post, things started in 11.2.x. It got worse in 11.3 on all my iOS devices.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Not an router issue, trust me (Systems Engineer). This issue showed up on both my Synology router, and Verizon hot spot at the same time. Tried ever adjustment of 2.4Ghz settings, channels, bandwidth, etc. All acts the same. Before 11.2.x these phones had zero issues. Beamforming isn't an option on my hotspot, its not used on the 2.4Ghz network because its exclusive to 5GHZ (AC).

I bet to differ since I had no issue with WiFi even during iOS beta cycle. Also, beamforming is available on 2.4 band and 5Ghz band whether it is explicit/implicit/universal but ac beamforming only on 5Ghz band which all used to regulate download and upload speed. Depending on your router, you have a wide range of adjustment. Synology Router interface designed to simplify UI for less advanced users. i used to have one I still remember the only options you have is SSID, security, mode and advanced setting for key rotation, width, channel, tx power and some others for wireless options.

Some WiFi settings at times don't play well with Apple devices but the reviews rated it poor WiFi for Synology Router. You have to enable "Downgrade USB 3.0 devices to reduce interference to 2.4Ghz signal" for Apple devices. Maybe, give that a try.

Last edited:

Maarked

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
3.0 interference was not enabled before without issue. However, I tried enabling that a few days ago just to see but the issues persisted. I will try installing an old version of Synology SRM just for giggles.

But don’t forget these issues started form iOS devices on both Synology and My hotspot about the same time. Yet both work perfect when on 5Ghz.

It’s iOS, not my routers. I can bust out my old R7000 with DDWRT and test with that. However it’s illogical to think two routers would exhibit the same issues within the same month, and only on my iOS devices. Meanwhile all other 2.4GHz devices have zero issues.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
If it wasn’t clear in my post, things started in 11.2.x. It got worse in 11.3 on all my iOS devices.

Suggesting there’s continued issues with certain setup eg. Chipset or SW used in certain HWs. To me, Apple’s WiFi setup had compatibility issues and was fixed across the board, for my router setup.

hdp

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2019
Hi Maarked. I’m having the same issue you described. It is so frustrating. What did you ever do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.