Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Question for those that know more about this than I do. I have a Time Capsule (not sure what the specifics are, but it's the last one that they made, the tall one, with 802.11ac) that I use at my house & love. We have one area in the kitchen where we get a weak signal. It hasn't been an issue up until the last few weeks when my daughter is trying to zoom from there. We'll occasionally get a 'weak network' error. I have a few older Airport Extremes (the most current is the one that is 802.11n. I'd like to try setting that up as a 'Wireless Extended Network' (the official title that apple references in their article on setting up networks with 2 airports). If I do that, will it slow down my entire network to 802.11n speeds, or just the devices that log in through the older AirPort Extreme?

I'd like to avoid moving to a mesh or other network as I use the Time Capsule for one of my backup drives & enjoy the simplicity. If I can add this second Airport to the network & cover the kitchen, then I'd be super happy, but I don't want to degrade my whole network, as I work from home, and everything has been running smoothly up till now.

Thanks in advance,

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Depends if you plan of being a car that needs updating in your garage! you could put it in Bridge Mode (that means NAT is turned off) then put it in your garage for AC to car!

Last edited:

danskoya

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2021
For my current setup, I use Ethernet (instead of wireless) to extend a using a bunch of Extremes configured in bridge mode and using the same SSID / passphrase.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
For my current setup, I use Ethernet (instead of wireless) to extend a using a bunch of Extremes configured in bridge mode and using the same SSID / passphrase.
Thanks. I'm trying to avoid running ethernet, due to where the extension is at. FWIW, I did set up the second router on my network & it does not seem to have impacted the rest for the network, at least as far as I can tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.