Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
a) Once you get XP installed on your iMac or MacBook, how do you switchboot back into OS X? And once you've done that, how to you select XP once again?

b) Has anyone been nailed by a Windows virus while running XP on Mac hardware yet?

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
ahunter3 said:
a) Once you get XP installed on your iMac or MacBook, how do you switchboot back into OS X? And once you've done that, how to you select XP once again?

You restart the computer, and either select the Apple Logo, or Windows Logo. You do this by pressing the up and down arrows on the keyboard, then pressing return when the operating system you want to boot in is on the screen.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
ahunter3 said:
b) Has anyone been nailed by a Windows virus while running XP on Mac hardware yet?
When someone is running Windows on an Apple computer, it is no different from a Dell box. They will get virus at the same rate. The good thing is 99.99% of viruses attack only the software and not the hardware so the mac side of things is safe. And since they use a different bootloader, that part is not a problem either.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
Thanks, y'all.

The good thing is 99.99% of viruses attack only the software and not the hardware so the mac side of things is safe.

When running Windows, can you see the MacOS HFS+ volumes if you install MacDrive or equivalent?

If you didn't, you'd have no access to your own document files created and used under OS X (unless you always saved to a FAT 32 volume instead of the HFS+ vol you were booted from). On the other hand, if you did, a windows virus could assault the files on your Mac volume and therefore radically hose "the mac side of things", yes?

Am I misreading something or is that the choice you have to deal with?

quicksilver77

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Why not just install windows and a good virus program. AVG comes to mind...and yes its free and opne of the best out there. As for spyware...just be careful when u browse and u'll be fine. Most mac users are computer savvy in general so just don't click pop-ups or install code u are not familiar with. I have over 200 windows pc's under my control :) and I do not get viruses or spyware. Just protect the computer like it should be and u'll be fine.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
quicksilver77 said:
Why not just install windows and a good virus program. AVG comes to mind...and yes its free and opne of the best out there. As for spyware...just be careful when u browse and u'll be fine. Most mac users are computer savvy in general so just don't click pop-ups or install code u are not familiar with. I have over 200 windows pc's under my control :) and I do not get viruses or spyware. Just protect the computer like it should be and u'll be fine.

I would in no manner say Mac users are computer savvy. The ones who post here are. As evidence I have two parents who are computer/mac retarded.

If you go into and Apple Store usually the customers are on an equally retarded level with PC shoppers at Best Buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.