Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Is it just me or does anyone else think you should be able to go back and forward in Safari pages by using the trackpad? I know it is supposed to...from what I read. Of course scrolling up and down works just fine, but no back or forward.

What gives??

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
It might be a nice feature, but all it's supposed to do is scroll within the page you're on - left-right, or up-down.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
gallivant said:
It might be a nice feature, but all it's supposed to do is scroll within the page you're on - left-right, or up-down.
Yeah that's all I've ever known it to be. Why/Where did you hear that it was able to reload pages?

S14-Racer

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2005
grapes911 said:
Firefox goes back and forward with the trackpad.

I personally hate that option... If you are just a slight bit diagonal with your scrolling it will jump forward and back. I can get really irritating at times, and I havent seen a way to turn it off, or alter the degree in which it happens (would be a nice feature :) ) I like using it with a mouse though.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I dont recall where I saw the option. I think it was on the Apple site. Just was thinking it would be handy while browsing. I am aware that it works in Firefox, so thought it should be a default thing regardless of what browser one used.

S14-Racer

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2005
It is handy, but it would be nice to have some options to tweak with it, so that one could adapt it to their style of trackpadding.

Untill then I will just get by with cmd home and end (<>) for my quick navigational needs :)

bemylover

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
when scrolling up or down, move your fingers slightly from left to right at the same time. this way, the browser will try to go forwards, but as, usually, there's no page there, it will just scroll up or down, just as you wanted it to.

this is not a real solution, but it's better than nothing.

Anawrahta

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
亞洲
The reason why Firefox does it and Safari doesn't is because Firefox uses the arrow keys for back and forward. The trackpad gestures simulate the arrow keys in that respect. It was actually more of a bug than anything else and in the new version of Firefox (Deer Park) it is fixed. You can actually fix it in the normal release of FF by playing with about:config but I can't remember which variables you have to change.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Anawrahta said:
The reason why Firefox does it and Safari doesn't is because Firefox uses the arrow keys for back and forward. The trackpad gestures simulate the arrow keys in that respect. It was actually more of a bug than anything else and in the new version of Firefox (Deer Park) it is fixed. You can actually fix it in the normal release of FF by playing with about:config but I can't remember which variables you have to change.
Yeah about this bug, does anyone know how to fix it? I am sick and tired of scrolling backwards and forwards through several pages when all I want to do is scroll down a page...

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
brepublican said:
Yeah about this bug, does anyone know how to fix it? I am sick and tired of scrolling backwards and forwards through several pages when all I want to do is scroll down a page...
Nevermind. I found the fix on Mozillazine. Just in case there is someone who is looking for it though;

-Go to your Firefox configuration settings by typing "about:config" in your address bar
-Change the value of mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action from 2 to 0.

You should be all set.

sandmann41

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2004
Frederick, Md
brepublican said:
Nevermind. I found the fix on Mozillazine. Just in case there is someone who is looking for it though;

-Go to your Firefox configuration settings by typing "about:config" in your address bar
-Change the value of mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action from 2 to 0.

You should be all set.

thank you so much, that had been bothering the hell out of me

brendan67

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
trackpad

hey

i'm using iScroll available on versiontracker it works
nicely letting you two finger scroll from the trackpad

"]

regards:)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
khisayruou said:
I don't think that helps out the OP, he is looking for the ability to go "back" and "forward" in a browser by using the two finger trackpad built into the newer powerbooks.

I would love this function as well, hoping sidetrack can do something like this for the new trackpads.

As earlier posts in this thread discuss, FireFox used to do this by default. I and everybody else I've heard from found it incredibly annoying, that's why everyone's talking about how to turn it off.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
mduser63 said:
As earlier posts in this thread discuss, FireFox used to do this by default. I and everybody else I've heard from found it incredibly annoying, that's why everyone's talking about how to turn it off.

Well, to each his own. Im siding with the OP on this one, I would like to go back and forward without leaving the trackpad.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
khisayruou said:
Well, to each his own. Im siding with the OP on this one, I would like to go back and forward without leaving the trackpad.

And maybe right clicking too. All they'd have to do is make the big mouse button be sensitive as to which side you're pressing more, although I know this would piss off and confuse somebody. It wouldn't kill them to make it two separate buttons since it's almost 2006. I'm sure people could handle it just fine.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
JDOG_ said:
And maybe right clicking too. All they'd have to do is make the big mouse button be sensitive as to which side you're pressing more, although I know this would piss off and confuse somebody. It wouldn't kill them to make it two separate buttons since it's almost 2006. I'm sure people could handle it just fine.

My solution to get that right click is to use "one finger snap"
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18941

It brings up the contextual menu when you hold down the mouse button.
Its shareware, but it won't break the bank!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.