Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I have one HomePod on left side of my desk but would like stereo at my desk and also when im in other parts of the room. Are two HomePods worth having if I'm in different parts of the room throughout the day? Do I really have to be in front of them to get a nice stereo immersion? I don't listen loud. maybe 50% volume tops. Its more about being immersed in the music for me

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
From what I understand, the HomePod analyzes its surroundings and adjusts its output to sound the best as is possible in its location. Based on this I would assume you'd get the same performance no matter where you're sitting/standing unless there's obstacles that block the sound from reaching you.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I find 1 vs 2 very different. I prefer 2 set up for stereo and I'm between both. They do adjust for the room but 1 can not overcome all physics. 2 in stereo are much more spatial and full for stereo music.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Setting up stereo homepods a little trickier than a normal set up since they are 360 degree speakers and constantly communicate with each other for beam forming, finally settled on about 7 ft and a little over 13” from wall. These do image and have a sweet spot so if you sit off center then one speaker will be more dominate
[doublepost=1546047393][/doublepost]
Setting up stereo homepods a little trickier than a normal set up since they are 360 degree speakers and constantly communicate with each other for beam forming, finally settled on about 7 ft and a little over 13” from wall. These do image and have a sweet spot so if you sit off center then one speaker will be more dominate
Unfortunately my recliner is just out of the sweet spot, however the sound is still much better than one, your word spacious is a good description, feel pretty sure anyone trying two would have a hard time going back to one

Attachments

• 23C67AB4-E34D-44F1-A0A8-18962F97C631.jpeg
    23C67AB4-E34D-44F1-A0A8-18962F97C631.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 152

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I read they only calibrate the surroundings when first set up or when moved, they have a sensor for movement.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
I read they only calibrate the surroundings when first set up or when moved, they have a sensor for movement.
I’ve been tilting them every time I moved them an inch for set up lol, I think I finally got the best placement but you do have to experiment

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
[doublepost=1546047393][/doublepost]
Unfortunately my recliner is just out of the sweet spot, however the sound is still much better than one, your word spacious is a good description, feel pretty sure anyone trying two would have a hard time going back to one
Just adding my discovery here in case readers don’t see my other thread, if your not sitting in front of the stereo homepods, move the furthest HomePod from your seating position forward about 6 inches, tilt to recalibrate and then sit backdown for a demo, this moves the sweet spot and will make them image at your seating position, if it does not work move it forward another couple of inches til it does ...... well worth it .
———-
Also important if your using these as your tv speakers, it will anchor vocals to your tv screen

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.