Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
1. I've been trying to see if there is an answer to the discoloration problems that the white macbooks have, my cousin has had one for a month and the bloody thing is pink all over the palmrest already, she got applecare, should I tell her to take it in?

2. Her iChat quits at random times or freezes as random times and she has to force quit it and restart it. Any ideas what could cause that?

Thanks

Her specs...
13.3-inch widescreen display
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo1
512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive2
SuperDrive (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, Apple would fix the discoloration during the first year even if she didn't have the extended Apple Care warranty. Have her send it in at her convenience! :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
1. If it doesn't wash off with a damp micro fibre cloth: Yes.

2. Try making another account on the Mac, configure iChat there and see if it freezes up when run from there...

tabaczka

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
Yup, Apple is fully aware of the discoloration.

I am pretty sure that they give you a totally new Macbook. I might be wrong and they might just replace the case.

If they do replace the whole computer that will also fix your ichat problem.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
You could also try deleting the iChat plist (My mac is currently gone so I'm just assuming there is one.), which will reset the ichat preferences. Or you could use Adium instead.

Edit: I highly doubt apple would replace the computer because of discoloration. Instead they will send it off to have the top-case replaced and it should be back in less than two weeks (probably about one). They did this to mine and the new top case feels different now because they replaced it with a different kind of plastic.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
tabaczka said:
Yup, Apple is fully aware of the discoloration.

I am pretty sure that they give you a totally new Macbook. I might be wrong and they might just replace the case.

If they do replace the whole computer that will also fix your ichat problem.

Why? It will still be the same software and settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.