Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
What do I mean by design similar to Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio?

I mean a 2-in-1 laptop where

1) Peripherals are attached to the keyboard rather than the display
2) The display folds/hinges forwards and sits above the keyboard, rather than folds backwards like on the Lenovo Yogas

Also needs to run Windows.

I like the design of the Surface Laptop Studio, but it costs more than I would usually spend on a laptop.

HP Elite Folio uses a similar design and costs less, but it runs Snapdragon. I want a regular x86 processor.

Are there any other alternatives that use this type of design?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think the short answer is no. I would not buy the studio with a quad core 11th gen intel processor either. The 12th and new 13th gen processors are much better. Maybe at the end of this year Intel will finally get off 10nm and give us 7nm paired with the new architecture should make for a great processor.

Also I don't see any benefit to this design. It looks like the edge of the screen would just scratch the deck of the laptop.

If I were you and wanted a more tablet like experience I would get a Surface Pro 9th gen. You would still have the same type of viewing angle although the keyboard and screen mimic a more traditional laptop the Surface pro can easily detach and be used as a tablet. I get you want peripheral's to attach to the keyboard so I think if I were you and really wanted this type of design I would wait for the next generation.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
The older processor doesn't really bother me. I don't have high performance needs. Also I'm not after a tablet like experience (sitting at a desk using is the only way I'd use the device). I want something that can transition back and forth between keyboard and pen input with least disruption whilst sat at a desk with various peripherals plugged in. This design seems best suited for that.

Since my opening post I've actually noticed a couple of other options that use this design and have x86 processors

Acer ConceptD 3 Ezel
Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel
HP Dragonfly Folio G3

However like the Surface Studio they're all pretty expensive and more than I'd typically pay for a laptop.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
The surface laptop studio is an interesting design, however MS has a bad habit of putting old, cpus into their products. When the competition is rolling out laptops using current technology, MS is 2+ generations behind them, yet charging a premium.

Here's a review:
Surface Laptop Studio review: A better Surface Book, a missed opportunity

Personally, I don't think its a good buy

I wouldn't buy it new as its beyond what I'd pay for a new laptop. Furthermore everything recent that uses this design seems to cost more than I'm willing to pay. Might consider used/refurb though.

Around 10 years ago Sony used to make laptops with this design (Sony Vaio Flip) and they had consumer level pricing (non-pro/non-business pricing). I bought one at the time. Ended up returning it after a few days for an issue unrelated to the 2-in-1 design (overly loud fans) and just ended up going with a laptop that used a different design (ThinkPad Yoga). Have been using Yoga-type designs ever since. But I've always been keen on trying the Vaio Flip / Surface Studio design for a more extended period.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Well you have to determine what you value most and the price you are willing to pay.

I have had good experiences with Surface products but agree with the previous poster on the age of CPU that MS uses while still charging a premium. They are well built and designed and a clean windows install is a beautiful thing. Also MS has full back up images of the devices they sell and if a new version of Windows is released they will have a new ISO tailored to your device you can install. Nice option for back ups and clean install.

My big issue is that there is a big difference in performance between 11th gen and 12thbgen Intel processor and that is only going to widen in the next few years making 11th gen obsolete before it's time IMHO.

Currently the studio is on sale for $300 off MSRP direct from MS USA website.

For the money Lenovo Yoga laptops are hard to beat. My only concern with Lenovo is longevity. I had my motherboard fail after 3 months. However Lenovo fixed the issue and my device was returned in exactly the same condition minus the failure and they extended my warranty 2 months. So as long as I don't have another problem I am happy with them.

The yoga is one of the most competitive 2 in one laptops currently on sale and you can find really good deals on them if you look for them. All with current specs.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.