Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunlit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Hi,
I have recently purchased an iPhone X for my wife, and then, one for myself too. Both are 256 Gb versions, one is silver, other is black. Guess what? They have very different displays:
1/ One is brighter than the other at maximum manual brightness, truetone off.
2/ They behave differently with color shifting due to angle of view, one goes greenish if viewed off straight angle, the other is more prone to purplish cast. Also, one gets into color-shift much faster, with slightest viewing angle, the other is slightly better when viewed at an angle.
It seems the two displays not only have different calibration, but they are different at hardware level.
I have made a little research, and viewed a couple of samples in Apple stores around, they are all brighter-greenish cast ones. I have also seen at least one more iphone X purchased that was dimmer-purplish cast one.
To sum up, the brighter-greenish cast ones look much better to my eye, less prone to color shifting at an off-angle viewing. While the others, dimmer-purplish ones leave one struggle even to find a straight viewing angle when all the screen is uniform white (almost impossible to achieve as one of the corners starts shifting into purplish cast at the slightest angle scew).
Here is the video illustrating the issue. I must add that it is much more pronounced to the naked eye, than captured on video.
So is your iphone X brighter-greenish cast, or dimmer-purplish cast? It would be interesting to known the statistics, and hear any ideas on why this is happening with supposedly same display manufacturer (Samsung) and allegedly the best calibrated AMOLED display on the market!

Last edited:

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Here is the difference between my two

Attachments

• 6F1A43AF-9BCF-4D41-90D3-059370064FAF.jpeg
    6F1A43AF-9BCF-4D41-90D3-059370064FAF.jpeg
    691.2 KB · Views: 704

sunlit

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
I prefer the right one on both yours?
this is even more evident if you actually see the displays. The right one is not only less prone to color shift, but it is appreciably brighter at maximum setting. Apple is cheating us here, and I think we consumers are entitled to know.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
this is even more evident if you actually see the displays. The right one is not only less prone to color shift, but it is appreciably brighter at maximum setting. Apple is cheating us here, and I think we consumers are entitled to know.

I’ve been saying this generation is quite a lotto

And I’ve had the unit that’s extreme red not just red hints off axis or anything

It muted and dulled the colors, lack of brightness aside. Literally is regressive from a nice P3 LED panel found in 7/8

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
EVERY iPhone is a lotto... there are too many to make/sell to only accept the perfect ones through QA.

if you return for replacement, it will more than likely have some OTHER issue that bugs you. Me and my wife's phones are the same way. She got a perfect screen 5s, and I got a yellowish one.

My 7 is better, but still a touch more yellow (with faint grey vertical lines on blue colors on screen to boot... but not as bad as another 5s I had)

So, yeah, the different screen colors/quality are not surprising. Hopefully it doesn't bug you too much!

Reactions: adamhenry

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
i have the purple like screen but its brighter than all iphone X displays i compared to at apple store and bestbuy.i notice when compared to an iphone 8 plus my display is sit between iphone 8 plus and other iphone X(bluer/green tint) and funny enough mine is actually bluer/greener when compared to any iphone 8 plus.
on a side note a made my display a little bluer/greener by adjusting a little bit in the display accomodation in the accesibilty so im happy now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.