Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnr319

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I have a Rev C 2.13ghz MBA that I have been using for about a month and a half. I love this machine to death but recently noticed 2 things that are bothering me:

1. Slanted LED Screen

For the first month after purchase, I usually paired my MBA with the 24" ACD at home so I haven't really looked at the MBA's screen too much. However, I started law school 3 weeks ago and have been spending considerable amount of time using the MBA on the go and now I look at the screen often.

Recently, I noticed that the led screen is slightly slanted downwards on the left side. I.e. when you look at the black area between the lit led and the bezel on top of your screen, there is a wider gap as you move towards the left. I would say that it is a 1mm-2mm decline. It doesn't hinder my work at all but I can't seem to ignore it!

2. As observed on this forum and elsewhere, there is a slight scuffing of the aluminum bezel from the trackpad button when the MBA is closed. I rubbed some of it away but there is still a visible mark on the bottom left of the isight camera.

First, are these common problems? What do you guys think I should do? If I bring it to an Apple Store, will they offer a replacement due to the issues above?

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
They'll send it in to replace the display assembly if you are lucky. If not they'll try to brush you off and tell you that's it's a cosmetic problem. They will try to repair it three times on the issue before they consider a replacement. If you're going to to school and this is your only computer, you may just have to live with it. I waited three weeks for the same issue

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I love my machine too. I have both those simptoms. I have chosen to ignore them both. My computer also overheats for no reason at random times of usage, the whole also wobbles when it's on the desktop, and lid doesn't even close flush. Again I have decided that by ignoring those issues in the end I am happy with my computer and it is otherwise flawless. :)

breakfast

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
I continue to use the shipping liner that was covering the keyboard whenever I put the laptop in my bag. ... I hate it when there are imprints from the keys on the screen
I know of people who used to put a soft cloth between the screen and the keypad for the same reason. Now they have a permanent imprint of the size of the cloth on their screen. No kidding, looks really bad.

breakfast

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
The likes one uses to clean their glasses with. Dunno what they're called... "microfiber", maybe?

PS: Berkeley? :) Cool! Long time... :) :)

gnr319

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
They'll send it in to replace the display assembly if you are lucky. If not they'll try to brush you off and tell you that's it's a cosmetic problem. They will try to repair it three times on the issue before they consider a replacement. If you're going to to school and this is your only computer, you may just have to live with it. I waited three weeks for the same issue

That's unfortunate. It is my primary computer and I use it 12 hours/day. It is truly my work horse and I cannot part from it for such an extended amount of time. I do have my trusty iBook G4 but I don't think that will be seeing any action anytime soon.

Out of curiosity, do I have to alert Apple of these things as soon as possible to maybe get it repaired? I have AppleCare on my machine and was wondering if I could bring it in say during winter break or maybe even summer break next year when I have a bit more time.

Thanks for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.