Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Pretty impressive from a USB C 3.2 Gen 2 SSD drive! I know it is suppose to be this fast. Still really nice.

Now the question can it be done faster ?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Find a TB3 drive and see of you can double the performance ;-) if you have a device that supports TB.
you can't, I have made tests and TB3/4 drives are barely any faster, both gen 2 and TB drives have speeds that are comparable to SATA 3 on iPads (by the way the speeds mentioned here are nothing to write home about...)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Pretty impressive from a USB C 3.2 Gen 2 SSD drive! I know it is suppose to be this fast. Still really nice.

Now the question can it be done faster ?

any specifics here, enquiring minds want to know .. what drive? which iPad Pro? storage space on both? seriously would love to know, I dont think I get those kinds of speeds on mine.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
So you are shipping around 6 Gbps if you transfer 90GB of data in around 2 minutes. Its not bad, not sure what transfer speed to expect tho, if max is 10Gbps its not bad but if its 20Gbps you can prob improve it. The question is....can the SSD drive handle it, do you need other cables, etc.
And also....is there a need for it or purely for fun chasing higher numbers?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
So you are shipping around 6 Gbps if you transfer 90GB of data in around 2 minutes. Its not bad, not sure what transfer speed to expect tho, if max is 10Gbps its not bad but if its 20Gbps you can prob improve it. The question is....can the SSD drive handle it, do you need other cables, etc.
And also....is there a need for it or purely for fun chasing higher numbers?
the bottleneck is the iPad... I have tried with storage devices that work fine on MacOS and Windows...
the iPad doesn't even achieve gen 2 speeds (10Gb/s), let alone TB speeds (22.5 Gb/s for storage)
But as you say, most of the time this does not matter, SATA 3 speeds (6 Gb/s) are good enoguh

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I don't think the Ipad is far off from producing gen 2 speeds, you will never reach 10Gbps but 6Gbps is near enough and prob what you can expect. Not sure what type of data that was transferred, if it was one large file or a bunch of smaller, that affects the numbers too.

Reactions: Digitalguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.