Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Powered it down completely. Moved it to my office. Plugged in. There were no sparks or sounds or drama. Won't power on. Went through all the things. Checking cables. Holding power button. Different outlets. Nothing. DEAD. I live in a rural area. Apple Care+ is saying to take it to my Best Buy. (authorized service) What are they going to do? Probably just send it to Apple. Why can't I do that?

Very disappointed of course. I use the thing daily.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Apple Care+ is saying to take it to my Best Buy. (authorized service) What are they going to do? Probably just send it to Apple. Why can't I do that?
Unfortunate for sure. But - that’s why it has a warranty.

I do wish Apple allowed send-in direct repairs for iMacs, especially since they’re not as huge as they used to be. But - they don’t.

Reactions: icanhazmac

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Powered it down completely. Moved it to my office. Plugged in. There were no sparks or sounds or drama. Won't power on. Went through all the things. Checking cables. Holding power button. Different outlets. Nothing. DEAD. I live in a rural area. Apple Care+ is saying to take it to my Best Buy. (authorized service) What are they going to do? Probably just send it to Apple. Why can't I do that?

Very disappointed of course. I use the thing daily.
Crazy thought... have you taken it back to where you originally had it plugged in and checked to see if it will power on? Or other areas in your house/apartment?

Reactions: Tagbert

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Crazy thought... have you taken it back to where you originally had it plugged in and checked to see if it will power on? Or other areas in your house/apartment?
Crazy thought. Do people read my post completely? ;)

Yes I tried “all the things” wiggled wires, tried outlets, and yes the original. Took it to Best Buy per Apple’s instruction and they confirmed the power brick is dead. Now Apple ships me a new one and I send them the busted one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.