Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
If you’re just playing AAC files, then I can’t see a benefit in wired, unless the DAC in the player is better than in the APMs. I use an iPhone and I can’t see the DAC in that being better than in APMs, likely the same tbh
This is a good point. Personally I would hope that the DAC in the $550 headphones is much better than the one in the phones. In my country the Airpods Max cost me the same amount as the iPhone 7 I bought back in 2016.

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
At some point I'm pretty sure we'll be able to tell these gadgets which sounds we want to hear and which to avoid precisely.
You already can, sort of. In iOS settings there's an option to tell the Airpods to listen for certain sounds (doorbell, door knock, telephone ring, barking of dogs etc) and amplify them so you're aware.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I’m surprised a ton of people like AirPods Max. I’m stuck with AirPods Pro, and I’m considering getting AirPods Max.

"Stuck"? Make it sound like a bad thing. After mulling it, I do have a pair. While won't get in-depth here, they are pretty great. However, they wouldn't replace my regular AirPods for activities such as the gym or hiking. Even going around public transport I think I'd rather use the regular AirPods.

Reactions: haruhiko

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
"Stuck"? Make it sound like a bad thing. After mulling it, I do have a pair. While won't get in-depth here, they are pretty great. However, they wouldn't replace my regular AirPods for activities such as the gym or hiking. Even going around public transport I think I'd rather use the regular AirPods.
I agree. The AirPods Max are for home use only and only a long journey if I am sat on a plane or a train etc. I still need my AirPods Pro for when I go out and about. so I use term when I am shopping or going for a walk.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Really did not want to get rid of these and justify paying 608 dollars, so I returned them a month ago. After seeing them "Open Box, Like New" on Best Buy for $470 and some change, it changed my mind. Had a $30 dollar gift card, and brought it down to about $486.

Honestly - I missed these. And I own the Sony XM4's. If Apple would release a tweak-able EQ like Spotify, I would be so happy with these 100%. As they don't sound the same as when I tweak them through Spotify and can't EQ them on PC.

Reactions: Branmonkey

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Really did not want to get rid of these and justify paying 608 dollars, so I returned them a month ago. After seeing them "Open Box, Like New" on Best Buy for $470 and some change, it changed my mind. Had a $30 dollar gift card, and brought it down to about $486.

Honestly - I missed these. And I own the Sony XM4's. If Apple would release a tweak-able EQ like Spotify, I would be so happy with these 100%. As they don't sound the same as when I tweak them through Spotify and can't EQ them on PC.
Did the same thing - bought a pair at Best Buy Open Box (Excellent) for less than $450.

Tae

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I must admit I was a doubter. I have a Bose Q35 and Beats Studio 3 (came free with an education discount on a Mac I bought.). I also have a good set of cans for my PC gaming that are premium. But these AirPods Max are on a different level. Makes me forgive their laughable excuse of a case and lack of cables.

I am disappointed only that I seem to be in the group with massive battery drain when not in use in the case. I reset them today so we will see how they fare overnight. I’m sure it’s software as the battery life when in use is fine. But Apple does it again with me, I was resistant with the watch too but now it’s part of my daily life. Damn you Apple.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I must admit I was a doubter. I have a Bose Q35 and Beats Studio 3 (came free with an education discount on a Mac I bought.). I also have a good set of cans for my PC gaming that are premium. But these AirPods Max are on a different level. Makes me forgive their laughable excuse of a case and lack of cables.

I am disappointed only that I seem to be in the group with massive battery drain when not in use in the case. I reset them today so we will see how they fare overnight. I’m sure it’s software as the battery life when in use is fine. But Apple does it again with me, I was resistant with the watch too but now it’s part of my daily life. Damn you Apple.
i seem to being of the lucky ones with great standby battery life but I have to say that I always out them back in the case when I’m not using them so I haven’t really tested the battery drain outside of the case and I’m almost worried to do so in case I end up in the same situation as you

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I still haven’t used the case, not even looked at it lol, not opened still in box, what would I do with it at home? mine hang on a stand and have a cable to charge next to them.
I just want to pick them and put them on multiple times a day don’t want to deal with a case.

Expensive sure but worth every damn dollar, you’d have to kill me to get them back ?

Reactions: artfossil

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Why would you use them while hiking?
Part of the point of hiking is to free yourself from the noise of the world. You brought that to your peaceful hike.
To each their own I guess, but holy cow, you don’t seem to understand the point of hiking and just enjoying nature.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
i seem to being of the lucky ones with great standby battery life but I have to say that I always out them back in the case when I’m not using them so I haven’t really tested the battery drain outside of the case and I’m almost worried to do so in case I end up in the same situation as you

I did a reset and it helped for a few days but last night it went from 65% to 1%. So im now seriously debating if I should return these headphones. Apple being Apple with no off button isn’t being innovative.

Just powered up my Beats and they’re at 92% being untouched the past 2 weeks.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
I did a reset and it helped for a few days but last night it went from 65% to 1%. So im now seriously debating if I should return these headphones. Apple being Apple with no off button isn’t being innovative.

Yeah, the Beats can be turned off .....
Apple not including that option is frankly laughable

Reactions: Deliro

tenordrum

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2019
DC Beltway

at the very least, if you can exchange them for another pair at this point, I would. Give another pair a try. Mine are maintaining good battery life considering the use I have given over the last few weeks.

ercmmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2021
So... I recently bought the AirPods Max and I'm having two issues: first of all, the battery is draining pretty fast. Secondly, I'm listening to a clicking sound (that is so annoying), especially when listening to "Monsters", by All Time Low, during the three inicial beats, around 0:10 of reproduction. The noise happens on the right side. Anyone having this issue? :/

MikkyBi

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
I bought an airpods Max about 2 weeks ago and this is probably my best purchase. The sound is great and it fits very comfortable on me head.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
So... I recently bought the AirPods Max and I'm having two issues: first of all, the battery is draining pretty fast. Secondly, I'm listening to a clicking sound (that is so annoying), especially when listening to "Monsters", by All Time Low, during the three inicial beats, around 0:10 of reproduction. The noise happens on the right side. Anyone having this issue? :/
The latest firmware should fix that battery issue according to some of the reports i've read. I've never experienced it but I also keep mine in the case when i'm not using them. I just listened to that track and I don't see hear that clicking. I think you should try resetting yours. Here's an article I found that shows how to reset them: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211904

Hope it helps.

ercmmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2021
The latest firmware should fix that battery issue according to some of the reports i've read. I've never experienced it but I also keep mine in the case when i'm not using them. I just listened to that track and I don't see hear that clicking. I think you should try resetting yours. Here's an article I found that shows how to reset them: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211904

Hope it helps.

Thank you for answering! I did the procedure, but I'm still hearing the clicking sound. Did you listen to the version feat. Demi Lovato and Blackbear? 'Cause that's the one that makes the issue "bigger".

If this thing is happening just to me, I think that it would be wise to request a replacement to Apple.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
Thank you for answering! I did the procedure, but I'm still hearing the clicking sound. Did you listen to the version feat. Demi Lovato and Blackbear? 'Cause that's the one that makes the issue "bigger".

If this thing is happening just to me, I think that it would be wise to request a replacement to Apple.
Are you listening to it on Spotify? I just pulled up that track on Spotify and listened to the first 30 seconds and didn't hear any clicking. Have you tried it on any other service? It might be available on Youtube.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
If you're interested you can read about the wired cable and sound quality at head-fi.org. To sum up, here's post from page 216 of a VERY long APM thread:

If you listen to Tidal masters, there is a huge difference. BT codecs have come a long way, but wired will beat BT any day. How could it not as it avoids compression altogether?

The linked quote is also a bit misleading. Using a usb c to usb a adapter, plugged into a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC, the sound stage explodes! Never use the headphone adapter that comes with an iPhone or iPad when using a DAC.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Y'all are making me want these, but I'm still pulling back at the price point. While it's good to see Apple is programming in a bit longer life with replacement ear cushions (I've replaced the cushions on my Beats Studio 3s at least 3 times with kits purchased on Amazon), I'm really surprised to read that these don't allow the level of sound customization offered by some of the lower end Bose models. While I tend to set most equalizers flat just to get the experience the engineers intended, I do occasionally want to crisp things up in the 2k-8k range or to get a fuller experience in the mid to low base (64-250). Really looking forward to getting the vaccine so I can go into a store and have a listen with some of the reference tracks I use when purchasing new speakers/headphones.

Reactions: mcvaughan

applefan19

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2019
Did the same thing - bought a pair at Best Buy Open Box (Excellent) for less than $450.

Tae
Have you still been happy with open box pair? I ordered open box, excellent pair online from Best Buy and unsure about the quality long term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.