Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdazuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Hi

Is it possible to have 2 Pass codes on a iphone running ios 12.

(daughter keeps changing her Pass code and hiding it from us)

Thanks for any help.

mdazuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
I have not set the parental control, just want the ability to check it now and again (messages etc) for peace of mind.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have not set the parental control, just want the ability to check it now and again (messages etc) for peace of mind.

Can't blame you, but I do not think you can have two passcodes. Another poster said you can have two faces on faceID but not sure what model phone she has.

Sometimes being a parent is tough!

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
This is actually super easy to do.

1. Under Screen Time in settings, go into Content & Privacy restrictions.

2. Enable the restrictions, then scroll all the way down in the list.

3. About 7 items from the bottom, you will find Passcode Changes—set this to Don't Allow.

4. Go back out of this screen into the main Screen Time settings panel (using the back button on the upper left-hand side of the screen).

5. Set a Screen Time passcode.

Here is what this does: it uses Parental Controls to block passcode changes (but nothing else) and then locks that setting behind what is in essence a Parental Control passcode.

This should solve your problem. Good luck!

I do not envy trying to balance teen privacy with teen safety—a delicate balance indeed...

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I don't think this is possible.

Also, this doesn't exactly answer your question, but my children know that changing the passcode to their devices without permission will result in immediate suspension of their access to said device.

I think a practical answer has been given by the above posters. Either add your fingerprint, or face ID profile, depending on which model phone.

This won't help for when the phone is restarted, but will allow you access the majority of the time.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Only problem I see with this solution is the child can then easily remove the additional print(s). But then that would be another issue parenting-wise...
My stepson did this once. We told him if he ever deleted our fingerprints again he would lose the phone and wasn't getting a replacement until he paid for it himself. He hasn't done it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.