Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
Anybody know of a good, minimal, 2 port USB-C hub for IPP? Ideally it wouldn't require a cable, just plug into the USB-C port on the IPP and split it to two. I'd like to keep the iPad powered while using a peripheral, and I don't see anything simple like this. I don't need SD readers or HDMI ports-- just one port for power and one for the peripheral bus.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
You need a hub that is certified to support not only charging but data as well

Belkin USB-IF Certified 4-Port Mini USB-C Hub with Two USB-C & Two USB-A Ports (Not Supporting Pass-Through Charging)​

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
You need a hub that is certified to support not only charging but data as well

Belkin USB-IF Certified 4-Port Mini USB-C Hub with Two USB-C & Two USB-A Ports (Not Supporting Pass-Through Charging)​

That's right. Mostly I'm just wondering if there's a simple dual USB-C adapter. Some of the AV adaptors have a USB-C port on them, presumably so you can power while projecting. I don't see any that are only two USB-C ports. It's actually hard to find many that have two USB-C ports, period. They all seem to assume that I want video, SD, USB-A and whatever else.

If I could find something like this, but with just two USB-C ports side by side, it would be sufficient:
iu

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
Don’t know if this would do data, it is designed to charge and audio

Interesting! It’s weird that they would only pitch it as an audio interface if it’s a full USB interface, but it sure appears to be. I’ll look into it.

Thanks!

Edit: reading the site, it seems heavily specialized for connecting headsets. It has a built in DAC for some reason, and won’t drive generic peripherals…. Got me excited for a minute though…

Last edited:

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Interesting! It’s weird that they would only pitch it as an audio interface if it’s a full USB interface, but it sure appears to be. I’ll look into it.

Thanks!

Edit: reading the site, it seems heavily specialized for connecting headsets. It has a built in DAC for some reason, and won’t drive generic peripherals…. Got me excited for a minute though…
Sorry, but I will keep looking

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
From amazon

Sitecom CN-385 USB-C Hub 4 Port | USB-C Male to 4X USB-C 3.1 Female Ports - Aluminum Hub​

Includes free international shipping. It doesn’t say for iPad, but I think it’s work a try.

Reactions: Analog Kid

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
From amazon

Sitecom CN-385 USB-C Hub 4 Port | USB-C Male to 4X USB-C 3.1 Female Ports - Aluminum Hub​

Includes free international shipping. It doesn’t say for iPad, but I think it’s work a try.

Power to the hub is from the host, not an external charger; I'd be curious as to how much attached to the hub that the iPad could power by itself (and the attendant battery drain). Buyer reviews are quite mixed on it.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
From amazon

Power to the hub is from the host, not an external charger; I'd be curious as to how much attached to the hub that the iPad could power by itself (and the attendant battery drain). Buyer reviews are quite mixed on it.
Yeah, I saw the same thing. I'm curious if I can plug the cable into a battery to power the hub and give 7.5W to the iPad to at least keep it from discharging... Might be worth a try. The reviews are definitely mixed, but it seems have the reviewers want to pump video through it and I do not.

It's just strange how few USB-C hubs there are-- it seems they're all designed on the assumption that you don't want USB-C, you want something else.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah, I saw the same thing. I'm curious if I can plug the cable into a battery to power the hub and give 7.5W to the iPad to at least keep it from discharging... Might be worth a try. The reviews are definitely mixed, but it seems have the reviewers want to pump video through it and I do not.

It's just strange how few USB-C hubs there are-- it seems they're all designed on the assumption that you don't want USB-C, you want something else.

Support for multiple USB-C ports has been problematic for technical reasons (chip support), with units only coming available somewhat recently.

Not sure what you mean about plugging it into a battery - where would the iPad connection be? There is only the one connector for power delivery and data output.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
Not sure what you mean about plugging it into a battery - where would the iPad connection be? There is only the one connector for power delivery and data output.
I’m thinking I’d plug the male connector into a power source and cable the battery to a port? Or am I thinking about this wrong? Does the male connector need to go to a host? I thought USB did away with needing a computer to be host…

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m thinking I’d plug the male connector into a power source and cable the battery to a port? Or am I thinking about this wrong? Does the male connector need to go to a host? I thought USB did away with needing a computer to be host…
The male connector goes to the iPad - it’s the conduit for power from the iPad and data to/from storage devices plugged into the female slots.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
The male connector goes to the iPad - it’s the conduit for power from the iPad and data to/from storage devices plugged into the female slots.
The point is for power to not come from the iPad, but I do need the data to and from the iPad. I'd like to power the iPad and peripheral from a power bank or wall adapter.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The point is for power to not come from the iPad, but I do need the data to and from the iPad. I'd like to power the iPad and peripheral from a power bank or wall adapter.

This one won't do that - you need a hub with pass-through power and a separate data port. I use this but it has only a single USB-C data port -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QZVQJX

There was a similar thread a while back -

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-are-usb-c-adapters-so-hard-to-find.2305907

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
This one won't do that - you need a hub with pass-through power and a separate data port. I use this but it has only a single USB-C data port -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QZVQJX

There was a similar thread a while back -

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-are-usb-c-adapters-so-hard-to-find.2305907
Thanks for the link to the other thread I’ll scan that too.

I haven’t tried the Anker 8 to 1, but I’ve tried the 6 to 1 and it won’t charge the iPad with less than 30W on the PD in port…

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks for the link to the other thread I’ll scan that too.

I haven’t tried the Anker 8 to 1, but I’ve tried the 6 to 1 and it won’t charge the iPad with less than 30W on the PD in port…

Yeah, I use a 60W charger with my 2021 12.9 - I dumped my lower wattage chargers and bought several Anker 60W chargers that will fast charge my iPP and also work with my Surface Pro 7.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah, I use a 60W charger with my 2021 12.9 - I dumped my lower wattage chargers and bought several Anker 60W chargers that will fast charge my iPP and also work with my Surface Pro 7.
Still assumes access to an outlet though. A 60W battery is far less common and less portable. The iPP is nice because it's portable, and the USB-C port is nice because I can attach useful peripherals, but if I can only do that when tethered to a wall because a hub draws 15W all by itself, it's less useful...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.