Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
UK
OK, I'm about to buy an iMac. My eldest daughter will be using it, too, probably for The Sims: Life Stories. I've read that there have been issues with Aspyr games on the newest MBP's; does that also apply to the new iMacs?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a copy of Halo cheaper than £35 ( + £3 for the UB )? I can get the PC version for £13, but that would mean have to reboot everytime I wanted to play...

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Is Mac Halo a universal binary? If not it looks like you'll have to download a 'patch' for it at any rate, as noted in the article below....

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/16/halo/index.php

There is a UB patch, that you have to buy for $5, about £3, once you have the original discs. It's a 650MB download, so I'm guessing that it's a complete new install.

Charging for the patch doesn't bother me too much, it's the fact I can't seem to find a copy of the game for less than £35. I'd like to play the game, but not at full price, after all these years. I'd hate to have to bootcamp the Mac, just to play one game, but it looks like I'm going to have to....

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
There is a UB patch, that you have to buy for $5, about £3, once you have the original discs. It's a 650MB download, so I'm guessing that it's a complete new install.

Charging for the patch doesn't bother me too much, it's the fact I can't seem to find a copy of the game for less than £35. I'd like to play the game, but not at full price, after all these years. I'd hate to have to bootcamp the Mac, just to play one game, but it looks like I'm going to have to....

I wouldn't stump up 35 quid for a game as old as Halo to be honest. There's one on ebay (with UB) at the moment that might be worth checking out. I doubt it'll go for more than 20 quid. :)

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I wouldn't stump up 35 quid for a game as old as Halo to be honest. There's one on ebay (with UB) at the moment that might be worth checking out. I doubt it'll go for more than 20 quid. :)

Thanks for that! Never even thought to look on eBay :rolleyes: There's no way I fancy paying £35. The PC version is currently £12.99. I'd rather play it as it was intended, but I might just to have to go the bootcamp route....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.