Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
did anyone see that stream from apple a while ago about being able to navigate X using only a keyboard? i thought he said that it was already implemented but i haven't been able to find it. was he talking about in the future? i know he demonstrated it onscreen.

also, a friend of mine jst got a new iBook. against my will, he's trying to get AOL. I thought I had seen something on the OS x section of the apple website about AOL for X. was i imagining that or do they have it because the aol website dosn't have it. only version 5 for classic OS's. anyone know?

jsjr

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2002
Answers to Your Questions

The keyboard navigation is already working since version 10.0...
Try clicking apple+~ from the finder and you'll see that you can open any folder from there... there are also another commands like apple+k to connect to a server, apple+option+a to open applications folder, apple+L to create aliases apple+option+h to open your home folder, and so on.... once the folder is open, just use tab and arrows to navigate.

The version of AOL for OS X can be found on your iDisk (if you have one) if not just try downloads from Apple's web site...

I hope the tips were useful to you...

Take care...

jsjr

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
you can "navigate" with the terminal or text edit. If you have unix experience you can just browse your directories with the terminal and even connect to appletalk servers from there (type man appletalk into the terminal for more info)

macfreek57- dissuade your buddy from aol at all costs;) The only thing less secure, more buggy, and a bigger rip off than a microsoft product is AOL.

jsjr

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2002
AOL for X

Perhaps I looked at Apple's site and they only have the version 5.0 of AOL.
I didn't try it to see if it works or not... ( I hate AOL... )

Sorry about that...

jsjr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.